The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be worth giving Limno aromatica a shot in my low light tank. The tank has pressurized CO2, PPS-Pro ferts, a nutrient-rich substrate, and I have my Finnex Planted+ 24/7 dimmed to 40%.

If not, what colorful stem plant could I give a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I've grown L. aromatica in low tech (no co2, no excel, low light, minimal ferts) and it lives and grows, but it becomes almost all green, with just slight pink.
But your tank has co2, plenty of ferts, so it would likely have much better color in your conditions. I'd say get it!

Otherwise if you are looking for more color from easy to grow plants, get AR (Alternanthera reineckii) or various Ludwigia.
AR in the conditions I mentioned above still stays a nice pink! Definitely recommend.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pics, and the only camera I have (cell phone) is extremely poor quality.
I googled "Limnophila aromatica low tech" and that is exactly how mine look in those conditions. Just nearly all green with just slight pink at the top (newer leaves).
Wouldn't be as colorful as grown in better conditions. But like I said, your tanks has plenty of ferts though. Not 100% sure if the ferts would be more important for the coloration than the lighting strength would. Still a nice plant regardless. It closes/folds up at night/when it's had enough light for the day.

Are you just keeping your light at 40% since you have low tech and and slow growers, so you don't want algae issues?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I don't have any pics, and the only camera I have (cell phone) is extremely poor quality.

I googled "Limnophila aromatica low tech" and that is exactly how mine look in those conditions. Just nearly all green with just slight pink at the top (newer leaves).

Wouldn't be as colorful as grown in better conditions. But like I said, your tanks has plenty of ferts though. Not 100% sure if the ferts would be more important for the coloration than the lighting strength would. Still a nice plant regardless. It closes/folds up at night/when it's had enough light for the day.

Are you just keeping your light at 40% since you have low tech and and slow growers, so you don't want algae issues?

Yes, I am. I mainly have it at 40% for some Anubias and Crypt parva and so that I'll have less algae issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.