The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lime's Succulent & Cacti collection!

2973 8
We where just going to buy playsand, and a bucket at Hope Depot when we stopped by the plant section of the store and started looking at Bromeliads and Orchids, when my brother pointed out the Succulents and Cacti. I just had to have some, I alway ended up killing my other indoor plants, and since succulents are 'drought' resistant, I thought I could use this as an opportunity to own plants! Yay! So, I took out my old cracked 10 gallon and set it to work. I also switched the UV light that I used on my crabs for a lamp, and set the UV for the plants. I planted them in a rock/sand/peat/perlite mix, and they are in tupperwares in the tank. Still debating if I want to actually put the sand on the tank though, it would look cool. The plants I chose are....

Aloinopsis luckhoffii
Fenestraria aurantiaca or Baby Toes
Portulcaria afra 'Variegata' or Rainbow Elephant Bush
Aeonium spp. or Aeonium 'Irish Bouquet'
Sedum praeltrum cristata

I may later add on more plants, and remove some outside so they can grow bigger (Irish B, Rainbow Bush, Cristata). Anyways, here are the pictures.

Rainbow

Irish B

Cristata

Baby T & Luckhoffii(The substrate may look like just playsand, but it's just a top layer for decoration.

LFS
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Aroid Addict
3,494 Posts
Lookin good! I don't want to see you repeat my mistake though, so I would definitely move those guys to the sunniest windowsill you have. If it stays above 40 at night where you're at, you can even move them outside in the sun (slowly, so they don't burn). Artificial light doesn't produce nearly the healthy growth that real sunlight does.

Also, be very careful not to overwater these guys since they're in mostly sand. If they don't take up the water quickly, it may just sit in the bottom of the containers and cause their roots to rot away almost overnight.

·
Aroid Addict
3,494 Posts
I'm positive they'll grow better there ;). Just be sure to start them in shade and move them to full sun over a couple weeks' time. They can sunburn pretty bad if not given an acclimation period

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.