The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little one must have hitchhiked on the roots of another plant. I saw some very tiny but brightly colored leaves poking out of my hardscape a few weeks ago, and then gently moved it to this spot. It's about 3" tall now, but grew from a very small bulb about the size of the pebbles in my substrate, starting with tiny .5" leaves. It is growing very quickly, putting a new leaf out every 2 days or so. I have a large red lily growing in this tank, but it looks nothing like this. The store I most recently purchased plants from has nothing like it in the shop, either.

Does this lily have a specific name? The colors are brilliant, pretty happy with this little surprise.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Hi graybot,

Wow, nice hitchhiker (seldom offered species)! Nymphaea micrantha is a beautiful plant that can get fairly large. I remove leaves as necessary to keep it shorter and more compact. Here is an interesting side note, the 'baby' plants grow at the junction of the stem and the leaf.

Nymphaea micrantha with plantlet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delayed response, thanks for the ID!

This plant is taking off like a weed in my tank. I had been trimming it to keep it low, but got lazy for two weeks and didn't do any pruning. It grew like mad and I now have 7 new bulbs growing out. I had to throw the original plant away as it had grown way too large. Even leaves that get torn off by fish activity or current (this lily is a lot more delicate than the red lilies I have experience with) end up growing plantlets if I don't remove them quickly enough.

I'm going to put one in my open top tank to see how the floating pads look and to see if I can get any flowers.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.