The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing my pvc spray bar with glass or stainless lily pipes. I've noticed a couple come with a surface skimmer. Does this affect co2 at all? Recently I've been having a lot of surface gunk, skimming is time consuming and not fixing the issue.
I've never had this surface scum problem till I totally did a rescape and added more driftwood.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Surface scum is totally natural, especially in planted tanks. You may have to turn co2 up a tad, but it's not going to off-gas your co2 quicker than you can inject it. I love having a surface skimmer, and even when injecting co2, I consider it borderline necessary as it will increase gas exchange, making it actually easier to increase levels of co2 dissolved in the water without harming livestock.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I don't have a surface skimmer however I have a glass lily outlet pipe and I found that if it is placed just slightly under the surface it actually creates a vortex and sucks in all the surface film down to get sucked into the filter.
the surface agitation is minimal and creates a nice ripple surface that the LEDs shine off from.

I have not found a decrease in co2 usage however I have seen better pearling when the surface scum was removed and cleaned off

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't have a surface skimmer however I have a glass lily outlet pipe and I found that if it is placed just slightly under the surface it actually creates a vortex and sucks in all the surface film down to get sucked into the filter.
the surface agitation is minimal and creates a nice ripple surface that the LEDs shine off from.

I have not found a decrease in co2 usage however I have seen better pearling when the surface scum was removed and cleaned off

I don't see how that works. Are you saying it is dissolving the surface scum back into the water column?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I too have noticed the 'vortex' effect with my lily pipe output only if I set my output closer to the surface. I also have a skimmer with my set and consider it essential just as @varanidguy stated. I had a lot of surface scum due to using capped soil as my substrate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn’t run my tanks without the skimmer. The difference it makes is amazing. One caveat. It if ever gets sucked below the surface (it typically floats, but changes in water suction at the input may cause it to get sucked down) then it becomes a real danger for for small fish and shrimps. I have taken out many shrimp and ottos (sometimes alive) form the canister because of it. My solution is that now I use a fine mesh net to cover the inlet.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
It is not really additional equipment. It is part of the Lilly Pipe intake.
I guess I consider "equipment" anything that might distract from the natural hardscape, fish or plants. So if I don't think it necessary I skip it and treat another way. Definitely a personal thing from an aesthetic standpoint for me.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I guess I consider "equipment" anything that might distract from the natural hardscape, fish or plants. So if I don't think it necessary I skip it and treat another way. Definitely a personal thing from an aesthetic standpoint for me.
I like the glass variants. Made a big difference aesthetically vs the green intake/outtake that came with my Eheim Canister filter.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I like the glass variants. Made a big difference aesthetically vs the green intake/outtake that came with my Eheim Canister filter.
Glass is much better, but it also makes a simple lily tube into a more complicated piece. How do you find cleaning the whole thing? You probably also increase the likelihood of breakage.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Glass is much better, but it also makes a simple lily tube into a more complicated piece. How do you find cleaning the whole thing? You probably also increase the likelihood of breakage.
I have yet to clean mine :laugh2: . There's some sludge build up on the outtake. I'll probably take a tooth brush to the visible sludge.

The breaking part does scare me, but not to much. I have the original intake/outtake if needed. I did use the heftier suction cups from eheim vs the translucent cheap ones that came with it. Also used food grade mineral oil for the suction cups, just a bit of insurance.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I have yet to clean mine :laugh2: . There's some sludge build up on the outtake. I'll probably take a tooth brush to the visible sludge.

The breaking part does scare me, but not to much. I have the original intake/outtake if needed. I did use the heftier suction cups from eheim vs the translucent cheap ones that came with it. Also used food grade mineral oil for the suction cups, just a bit of insurance.
How long has it been in there?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had glass surface skimmers, and they eat small shrimp even if they don't go below the surface of the water. You can use a net or something, but that hinders the performance of the skimmer. My main reason for no longer using skimmer intakes is they are super hard to clean (where the pipe to the canister meets the vertical piece, and I had two break from trying to remove the bottom piece for cleaning as it was getting clogged. Bits of sand get in that glass on glass joint and causes it to be super weak.

I then went to a regular surface skimmer (Eheim and Azoo). Eheim came broken. Azoo was my preferred one, and I set it on a timer so the shrimp that were caught could swim out of the skimmer every few hours. As @Asteroid mentioned, it does hurt the tank aesthetically having that extra piece of machinery in there.

My favorite solution so far is just running an airstone 24/7. It allows you to really blast CO2 and minimize equipment in the tank, plus you don't have to worry about shrimp being sucked up at all.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had glass surface skimmers, and they eat small shrimp even if they don't go below the surface of the water. You can use a net or something, but that hinders the performance of the skimmer. My main reason for no longer using skimmer intakes is they are super hard to clean (where the pipe to the canister meets the vertical piece, and I had two break from trying to remove the bottom piece for cleaning as it was getting clogged. Bits of sand get in that glass on glass joint and causes it to be super weak.

I then went to a regular surface skimmer (Eheim and Azoo). Eheim came broken. Azoo was my preferred one, and I set it on a timer so the shrimp that were caught could swim out of the skimmer every few hours. As @Asteroid mentioned, it does hurt the tank aesthetically having that extra piece of machinery in there.

My favorite solution so far is just running an airstone 24/7. It allows you to really blast CO2 and minimize equipment in the tank, plus you don't have to worry about shrimp being sucked up at all.
Do you also blow through co2? It seems it keeps going up In price seems. 2 to 3x the price from a couple years ago

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Less than 2 months. Just finally starting to get some algae in my new setup.
OK, 2 months isn't that long. Just the more you take something out to clean the more likelihood of breakage. I've broken several of the regular lily pipes over the years. Did you know what the reason for the surface film was?

Bump:
Do you also blow through co2? It seems it keeps going up In price seems. 2 to 3x the price from a couple years ago
Out of curiosity, what are you paying for co2 in Cali.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
OK, 2 months isn't that long. Just the more you take something out to clean the more likelihood of breakage. I've broken several of the regular lily pipes over the years. Did you know what the reason for the surface film was?

Bump:

Out of curiosity, what are you paying for co2 in Cali.
I'm in California and go to a hydroponics store. They charge $15 to refill for 5 and 10 lb tanks alike.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.