The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went super-budget on my first regulator, and regretted it the entire time I owned it. I bought a Milwaukee MA957 regulator on clearance, and while they worked fine for some people, mine and many others had some serious flaws. The needle valves on these tend to wander(turn themselves down throughout the day). As I can't really hang out by the tank all day, this sucked.
I finally bit the bullet and bought a regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. I got the Choice model, which is low-end as far as the GLA stuff goes, but still pretty nice. Since I set it up this summer, the needle valves haven't moved at all. Put it on a timer, and that was it as far as any maintenance/interaction goes. It really shows in the tanks, I have no algae, and tons of happy plants and fish. The almost-universal opinion of Green Leaf is great products with great service. If you don't know what you're doing, you can call the owner and he will walk you through the setup.

There is also the option of building your own regulator, which is supposed to be cheaper with similar/higher quality, if you know what you're doing. I don't know much about it, but there are tons of threads about it in the DIY section here.

Best price I've found on a CO2 tank is here. Buy it empty, get it filled locally at a welding supply/fire extinguisher supply store.

run the co2 through your filter, or a cheap powerhead, or a knock-off glass diffuser off ebay.

That's about all you need.

As for bulbs... the common advice is to stick in the 6000-10000k range. 3000k is orange, 6000k is yellowish, and 10000k is blue-white. Actinic is a far-blue spectrum. Some people like the blue color, personally i think it looks weird.
I've found that starting out with a 10000/6000k combo is pretty close to true color rendition (natural sunlight). You can always swap one or the other out once you have them and decide which you prefer.
Remember, 90% of light selection is what looks good to you. technically, plants would be happiest with red/blue lights, but that would look pretty nasty to us.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
sorry bit of an absence there... Anyway couple months ago i picked up a used Fluval 405. Works perfectly. Im back on the idea of getting a set of lilly pipes. I would also like to replace the stock flex tubing with clear tubing. This is my first go around with canister filters and i dont want to chance having 55 gallons of water in my floor. If someone out there has replaced the flex tubing with clear tubing on a fluval 405 gimme some input on the diameter and wall thickness that i would need to look at. Also how exactly do the tubes seal onto glass lily pipes? Do they just slide over the glass? how reliable are the seals? And finally what diameter lily pipes should i be looking for givin the size tubing i need???

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I use lily pipes on my tank, what i did was buy the lily pipes that are a little bigger than your tubing. My tubing is 1/2 inch internal diameter and I have 13mm pipes. 1/2 inch works out to about 12. something mm, so the tubing has to stretch a little bit to fit onto the pipes. This makes a very tight seal. I can't even take em off... haha

you can always make your own out of acylic pipes, i'm planning to do that with my nano tank since i don't want to drop a lot of money on a new set...

weird isn't it? I spend like, 40-50 bucks at a bar for drinks and yet 30-40 bucks on something that makes my tank look a lot nicer and i'm so hesitant to spend my money.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I use lily pipes on my tank, what i did was buy the lily pipes that are a little bigger than your tubing. My tubing is 1/2 inch internal diameter and I have 13mm pipes. 1/2 inch works out to about 12. something mm, so the tubing has to stretch a little bit to fit onto the pipes. This makes a very tight seal. I can't even take em off... haha

you can always make your own out of acylic pipes, i'm planning to do that with my nano tank since i don't want to drop a lot of money on a new set...

weird isn't it? I spend like, 40-50 bucks at a bar for drinks and yet 30-40 bucks on something that makes my tank look a lot nicer and i'm so hesitant to spend my money.
Its funny how that works isnt it. But there is a certain satisfaction that you get out of makin something yourself. Ive seen the post with instructions and pics of how to make your own lily pipes from acrylic and really it looks fairly simple. Ive thought about it myself and for a nano tank it would be great but these are goin in my 55g and with that much water constantly flowing in and out i would prefer to have something professionally done.

Thanks for your input!!!

Keep it comin!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts