The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Magnum 350 is a good filter. Last I looked, the manufacturer's recommendation for media was to load the media basket with charcoal. If you do that, the Mag 350 is great for chemical and mechanical filtration, but the charcoal only provides so/so surface area for a biofilter. When I used a magnum as my primary filtration, I stuffed the media basket with filter floss...GREAT for biofiltration.

And as far as lily pipes go, I got some of the el-cheapo's off ebay, and I love them. They look great, they weren't nearly as fragile as I figured they'd be(read that as: I break stuff, and I didn't break these), and they work great.

For the Magnum, it has 5/8 ID tubing, same as the Eheim Pro II. You'll want 17mm lily pipes.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
So i stopped by my LFS to make sure he didnt have any venders that he could order lily pipes from. Unfortunatly I left a little disappointed. Not only had he never heard of them, after i showed him a set online he thought they would impossible to keep clean. He thought I would have to clean them ATLEAST once a week. I had assumed reg maintenance and figured i could get away with cleaning them once a month or even just when i clean my canister.

So...

How much maintenance is really required to keep this things looking nice???

My LFS guy was also concerned about how well they seal to the inlet and outlet tubes from the canister? that made me wonder..... Ive heard you heat the tube with a blow dryer to slide it over the lily pipe but... if im removing these once a week for cleaning how well will they reseal? will i have to keep trimming the tube back to get a tight seal?
If people don't know, they shouldn't guess.

Lily pipes work great, they seal great. Yes, you have to clean them. Once a month, at the very most. Usually not even that often, maybe 4 times a year. Every intake/outlet gets dirty, it's just that when it's big, black, and bulky you don't notice the gross stuff growing on the inside.

I use 13 mm lily pipes, with 1/2" ID reinforced tubing...I use the reinforced not for strength but because it was the look I was going for and I needed it to not crick on itself. Anyway, the stuff makes a great seal. Not too hard to put on, not too hard to pull off.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'd have to agree with Indignation with the eBay knock-off lily pipes. I received mine a couple days back and found that they were about 1 to 1.5mm thick. If I tried brute forcing the tube on/off, the glass would definitely break resulting in probably a red mess =/.

This is probably obvious to everybody else, but it wasn't to me: If the lily pipe and hose are wet, it makes it a lot easier to slide them on and off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts