The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To explain a little further, I didn't have any wire, or rock salt, or tubing to hold the shape of the acrylic while I bent it so I have to freehand everything.

The first flute I attempted to warm up and then ream out the shape with varius objects and my fingers. It didn't work so well.

And then I asked myself, "how do people blow glass"? I pondered this for a moment and then grabbed some gorilla tape and tried to tape closed the end of the pipe. When I blew in the other end it pushed off the tape. Out came the red tuck tape. This stuff made a solid seal. I had my lady warm the pipe before the tape with a heat gun while I blew in the end of the pipe (it was 5' long at the time). Once it gave it blew up into a perfect bubble. I just plugged the pipe until the bulb cooled and then bent the rest of the outflow.

Then I massacred the flute with a hacksaw.

I think I will try a hot guitar string next time and see if I can slice it like cheese.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
dremmels are amazing, i tried this I used straight up salt, i used the kosher salt or whatever with the bigger granules, I ended up not using the pipes but it worked for the most part i just couldnt stand seeing a few blisters it drove me nuts as i like to stare at my tanks alot.... try again use normal salt and your dremmel =p also do this very slowly bend like an inch at a time

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, I thought it looked pretty good without using anything. The only thing I'm having trouble with is cutting the bulb.

I just heat it up enough that it take force to bend it and hold it until it cools. Then I reheat further along until it starts to pull back straight and bend and hold again. I also only apply heat to the outside bend side of the pipe. It seems to make the inside bend less prone to kinking than if it's completely malleable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts