The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m collecting equipment for my new 72gal Bow Front tank and I need help to choose right type of outflow. Tank is 48” long 22” deep and from 12” corners to 18” middle wide. I can’t decide what to use Lily Pipes or spray bar .There will be 2x Eheim 2217 canister filters to move the water and distribute Co2
Here is simple diagram how inflow and outflow will be placed.
All advices and ideas will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'll have glass tops. Plan is low - low med light, low maintenance low on frets too. Light - Catalina
2x54 W lifted 9-12" over the tank surface. Pressured CO2 and Africana Aquasoil.
Plants: Fern, Crypts, anubias, tropica 49, marsilea minuta.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have .. probably the same tank.. bow front seventy some gallon. I set up the intake on the top left (looking at your diagram) and a spray bar running along the back on the right.. I have a Hydor Koralia Evolution 550 circulation pump (copied and pasted that.. not an advertisement).. on the middle right blowing left .. it creates a little bit of surface ripple (not too much) and all the plants move around a bit .. I think it works well .. I had a 900gpm pump running and it was probably a bit much.
I'm running an eheim 2076 filter though.. the flow is a bit higher than a single 2217.. but doubled up. .. you'll get more I think.. or the same..

if you're gonna use two.. I'd suggest a lily pipe shooting across and a spray bar from the back (maybe closer to the middle than mine).. it seems like a good mix to me.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
No, I'll have glass tops. Plan is low - low med light, low maintenance low on frets too. Light - Catalina
2x54 W lifted 9-12" over the tank surface. Pressured CO2 and Africana Aquasoil.
Plants: Fern, Crypts, anubias, tropica 49, marsilea minuta.
If your using glass tops and lily pipes, you'll have to cut the glass top if your placing them anywhere, but the back. The lily pipe will interfere with the top.
I've used a spray bar on the left side and had it shooting at about a 30 degree angle across the tank from left to right. I only used one filter.

You could see the spraybar in this pic just below the canopy.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your using glass tops and lily pipes, you'll have to cut the glass top if your placing them anywhere, but the back. The lily pipe will interfere with the top.
I've used a spray bar on the left side and had it shooting at about a 30 degree angle across the tank from left to right. I only used one filter.

You could see the spraybar in this pic just below the canopy.

Nice tank and scape.Can you post front view too.
What Light, ferts scedule and waterchange do you have in it?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I choose Lily pipe I'll modify them in order fit them under glass top. My concern is deepness of the tank .Can Lily Pipe flow reach the bottom?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the glass tops for my tank.. but I only use the front half peices.. the back halves are stored away (the two pieces connected with the plastic hinge thing).

I just slide the front halves back when I need to access the water .. or raise the light (which I have suspended over the tank from the ceiling (an aquamedic light fixture))

anyway.. I didn't have to cut any of the glass for this setup

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the glass tops for my tank.. but I only use the front half peices.. the back halves are stored away (the two pieces connected with the plastic hinge thing).

I just slide the front halves back when I need to access the water .. or raise the light (which I have suspended over the tank from the ceiling (an aquamedic light fixture))

I thought the same way. To remove back and middle plastic parts and to insert whose somewhere between the glass tops.
Can you post picture of your setup?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts

The cutting off the glass is related to using lily pipes. Usually optimal location is on the side and the pipe goes well above the rim, especially the funnel shaped return.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tank is mostly low light plants, similar to what your doing:

Lights: 4x65 CFL (Only run 4 bulbs for 3 hours)
Ferts: EI based
Water change 50% weekly
Ferts: EI based
Water change 50% weekly

That will be my problem. I’d like to have 30%-40% water change every 2 months or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts

not as fancy,, but my first planted tank and getting close to two months old..
anyway.. you can see the glass lids covering the front. and an open back.

be careful with the lids if you do this they can fall in if you're not careful. they 'slide' back and forth in the water and will 'fall' toward the side panels.. one fell in and hit the left side.. the tank stayed together but the glass lid got chipped.. it could've been disastrous :)

anyway.. it's going well so far. the light is suspended from the ceiling with cables.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

not as fancy,, but my first planted tank and getting close to two months old..
anyway.. you can see the glass lids covering the front. and an open back.

be careful with the lids if you do this they can fall in if you're not careful. they 'slide' back and forth in the water and will 'fall' toward the side panels.. one fell in and hit the left side.. the tank stayed together but the glass lid got chipped.. it could've been disastrous :)

anyway.. it's going well so far. the light is suspended from the ceiling with cables.
Thanks for picture it looks nice.Do you like your background so far?
I had the same in my 40gal long.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for picture it looks nice.Do you like your background so far?
I had the same in my 40gal long.
it works.. I don't like that it doesn't get flush with the back glass (maybe i should've just siliconed it permanent style) and I've had shrimp and fish get lost back tehre.. and die a few times as well

I've since gone in and added 4 more magnets to help hold it more.. it has done better.. but still..

aesthetically I think it works.. especially for a tank that is backed by a wall.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that it is not shrimp safe .I kill too many shrimps in this tank. There wasn't any other
difference with my other tanks .Background was siliconed to the back wall and still water get behind.
My tank is 2" from the wall to. I'll put black velvet on the wall and probably will add one 24" T8 bulb on the back 6" under the tank to light tower the top. My goal is to have blurry background.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A lily pipe is designed to outflow just under the surface and create a "vortex". Google lily pipe and vortex to see what I mean. I like mine because it doesn't impede filter flow and outputs in a broad gentle way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts