The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen it spelled both ways -
I see so many posts casually mentioning lily pipes - what are they for and how are they used? If I wanted a gentle water flow and not a power head force (or the visual obstruction of one) could I use a length of tubing ending in a lily pipe attached to a air pump? I suppose I could just use a suction cup to attach the tubing where I want it in the tank, duh. I have a 55g tank that I want to keep slow moving & quiet, but I'd like to get the bottom circulating a bit. My HOB is at one end of the tank, I was going to add the air pump/tubing to the other side. I have a small air pump rated for up to 30g tanks, but I just want just the tiniest bit of movement, nothing disruptive - shouldn't it work?
I still want to know what lily pipes are for, lol...
Thanks!
~ Cin ~

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 60g Whisper HOB filter on the tank already, and it's a blackwater tetra tank. I get water flow all through the tank now, but I'd like to push more of the water from the bottom of the tank up towards the HOB. The fish prefer the calmer, quieter parts or the tank, and I have blue rams that have spawned - they went for the stillest parts of the tank. The whole feel of the tank that I'm shooting for is the peaceful eddy areas you would find behind driftwood/rock outcroppings in a slow moving stream. I want healthy circulation without too much turbulence. This is a standard 55 tank, so it's only 12" in depth but 20" tall. I want to get a gentle oval rotation of water from one end/the bottom (where the tubing/air pump, or power head if more appropiate, would be) to the opposite upper end (where the HOB & heater are). The fish don't go anywhere near the HOB part of the tank, that's why I don't want the same amount of water force - the fish won't be happy. And I have the HOB set at about 3/4 flow now...
~ Cin ~

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a little confused at what you're trying to get at here. Are you trying to attach a lily pipe to an air pump?

Lily pipes are used for canister filter outtakes, since you have a HOB filter, I don't think you'll find much use for them.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know - what they are used for! I see them mentioned in posts but I didn't know for what use.
Thank you!

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
They are just a nice way of getting water in and out of your tank. They are mainly used because of their appearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts