The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g with a current sat +. Dose excel and flourish comp and use root tabs. substrate is black diamond sand. The substrate is only a week or so old but I've had the Lilly about a month and it hasn't really done much. Since I changed the substrate and lighting my wisteria, hygro, and sword have taken off. I had 3 new leaves sprout on my sword last week alone. Just not sure wat to expect with the Lilly. Pics I've seen ov other peoples look to have bigger leaves and fewer leaves. Mine just seems to be a jumbled mess of small leaves.

Just not sure if there is something different I should do or if this is just normal.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It's normal.. They go thru dormant phases where they stay low and won't grow much if at all for months, then suddenly they shoot up to the tip of the tank for awhile, then did off again to start the phase all over. I've had mine go the point a few times that I thought they may have died off, but they always come back. Strange little plants and by far my favorite. Give it time, and one day they will shoot up and within a week or two reach the surface. I know they don't particularly like excel, so I usually mix with water when introducing into the tank. That way the leaves don't melt. Also make sure root tabs are close to the plants cause they are heavy root feeders

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Also, trimming will generally keep them growing low and bushy if untouched they will hit the surface, turn to pads and may start blooming flowers on an open tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My hope was to have at least some upward growth and maybe a flower although I know imay not have enough light.

Peachii.... This is a look you want? I thought they were supposed to kind of grow up and out a little and not look like a glob of leaves all bunched together

·
Registered
472 Posts
It can grow lily pads, higher leaves, or low-and-compact like yours. For aquascaping, people ideally want theirs to grow like yours. They tend to slow in cooler temps or when detached from the bulb. When happy, it becomes a beast and takes over your tank. Trimming is half the battle and pulling it out of an aquarium ends up in a big mess:) Trust me, I know so. The lily pads that yours grow are about 4-5 inches long and 2-3 inches wide. The lily pads yours grow look more like arrowheads than the traditional ones people think of waterlilies. It is also a night blooming species(the only ones kept in an aquarium to bloom during the day is N. micrantha. A positive ID for your is Nymphaea stellata/ pubescens aka dwarf water lily(common name should be changed imo)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! Is there anything I can do to promote higher growth or does it just do what it wants?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here's a few different pics to show how these plants morph in size. All the same plants, All in the same tank, just a few different locations thru scaping.

You'll notice that the red and green never seem to be the same sizes at the same time. They always alternate growth. Have been this way since I got them as bulbs.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
+1 ^^
They are good plants for lower light tanks, I plant them in shade.

v3

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Don't think that higher light slows them down. I've had runners reach the surface from sprout in just 2-3 days. Mine went dormant for nearly 3 months and now it is back to reaching for the sky.

·
Registered
588 Posts
actually planting more plants around them and lowering light intensity makes them reach for the sky and shoot runners
Maybe it helps more.. But I've always separated mine from other plants by a few inches and the light intensity never changes and they still go thru the same cycle if highs and lows.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
As other's have said,,they go dormant (many species) for a few month's each season.
At this time,,they utilize nutrient's stored in bulb.
Maybe placing small root tab under it, and patience could produce result's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info. Patience patience patience. I feel more comfortable at least knowing that it looks normal for now.

·
Planted Tanker
6,057 Posts
I have 2 which I bought same time, about 6 weeks ago. They were both small, a golf ball sized cluster of maybe 4-5 leaves. I have them on opposite sides of the same tank, getting the exact same light.

One is now bigger than a softball, with big new leaves and putting out literally 1-2 runners a day. Ive been vigorously trimming it. The other one has perked up a bit, and turned a brighter red color, but virtually no growth at all.

I thought it was a dud or something, glad to read that it's normal. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have 2 which I bought same time, about 6 weeks ago. They were both small, a golf ball sized cluster of maybe 4-5 leaves. I have them on opposite sides of the same tank, getting the exact same light.

One is now bigger than a softball, with big new leaves and putting out literally 1-2 runners a day. Ive been vigorously trimming it. The other one has perked up a bit, and turned a brighter red color, but virtually no growth at all.

I thought it was a dud or something, glad to read that it's normal. :)
Funny I am having the same exact experience. Bought two, same size bulbs. Planted them last month, one has 20 plus big leaves, the other 3-4 darker red slower growing. It must be going dormant. Good info, thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts