The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like Lily pipes for my two ADA tanks. This will be financed by me selling the other aquarium (ridiculous I know).

Anyway, I like to breed shrimp. I'm wondering if the holes in a Lilly pipe are small, or if the lilly pipe is short, allowing a generous difference between the substrate and the intake. I'd hate to buy these and have to put a sponge over them, that would defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the holes on the input are small enough not to suck shrimps in, don't worry. however, i would sugest that you buy lily pipes from POE of CAL AQUA LAB, he is selling them for real cheap... and the design is much better than ADA's.

by the way, it is possible for you to lift the input high enough to the level of your desire so that they stay away from the bottom substrate. just place the suction cup whereever you prefer!

good luck.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Hmmmm.....

I have both ADA and Cal Aqua lily pipes and the ADA design is actually more functional and looks better doing it. The Cal aqua pipe has to be lifted pretty high for surface agitation.

As for shrimp it would be a no go. I had an unsuspecting ocat get sucked halfway into one of the slits and it was full grown so adult shrimp won't make it moreless shrimplets.

If your shrimp are like any of mine they get into everything and into the filter will be one of the places will be.

What you could do is sponge the intake and hide it behind foliage. Getting shorter version would help some too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe some members. Iunknown? perhaps just let the shrimp get into the filter and empty out the filter occasionally. He has found lots of baby shrimp alive in his filter. This might not work well for all cannisters but I am guessing a few lost shrimp isn't that big of deal if your willing to pay that much for lilly pipes. If you have high end CRS or something then I might reconsider the lillies. Just my 2 cents since I currently am to cheap to buy lilly pipes though I do think they are a nice addition to a ADA setup.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.....well I've emptied out my filter to find a great amount of shrimp. Not like it's a big deal with those guys, I've got like 200. Just worried if I got some CRS.

I don't know why some other company hasn't made these in the US. Or simply made acrylic ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.