The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if two 56 watt led lights are enough to grow grasses in an 18" deep tank. I am running Co2 on a cycle with the lights. the watt per gallon is 1.7. seems a bit low to me but my aquarium store owner assures me that it is good enough. However the ground cover I put in the tank promptly died which may have been related to a low kh that I have now adjusted. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

·
Dwarf Fish Lover
471 Posts
1:WPG can not be applied to LED, and is even dated with modern knowledge (PAR)

2:Which store are you going to? Aquarium Concepts? If yes they don't know how to keep plants and should not advice people seeking such knowledge.

3: You have any idea which LEDs are you using? Some cheapo LEDs can not travel through water deep enough to supply enough PAR for carpet plants to grow.

4: In case your LEDs are ok, what substrate are you using? Carpets need good substrate system to develop a good root system and this is especially important for beginners.

So, give us some more details, your whole system spec and some pictures of your tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using ada amazonia with powersand base and all substrate additives from ada. the two lights are 56 watt archaea ultra-gro. The tank is currently doing a fishless cycle on day 14. I have been dosing brighty K daily and green bacter to help with water clarity and cycling.
I planted 1-2-grow ground cover plant and it died within a few days(can't remember the name). All of the other plants are growing and doing well. The only other plants that aren't doing as well is another species of 1-2-grow. I am thinking that these plants don't transfer well to the aquarium them being tissue cultures and all. The lights are on for 6 hours a day with co2 running about 3 bubbles a second on the same cycle. Was going to bump up to 7 hours a day next week as there is little to no algae growth. Any ideas? I would like to replant a different ground cover plant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.