The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had fish that have bright colors at the store but not so in my tank. At an aquarium association meeting I was told that the lights for plants give fish a wash out look.

At present have Dwarf Rainbow fish which has a blue sparkle on body. Probably a bulb with more blue photons would work. Anybody know which brand of bulb and K rating of T8 bulb that has more blue in them, which is also good for plants?

·
Registered
167 Posts
460NM actinic bulbs are very blue, and SunPaq has a dual bulb with both 460NM actinic and 10,000K daylight that might interested you. However, I switched from dual actinics to the soft pink 9325K bulbs and did not notice a drastic difference in the appearence of my fish.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The bulbs that look pink/red seem to bring out the colors on my cichlids. GLO makes the Flora-Glo and Current makes their "Freshwater" bulbs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The best color temp I've found for fish color is 6500k bulbs

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
460NM actinic bulbs are very blue, and SunPaq has a dual bulb with both 460NM actinic and 10,000K daylight that might interested you. .
I had that 1 over my tank and it nothing for the plants or the fish and increased my electric bill.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Quantum AquaFlora Plus is a T6 which works in T8 fixtures. Very good overall, lacking only in a narrow band of true yellow. No sense of pink or purple light like some bulbs. Seems like white light. The only color which I found wasn't enhanced is true yellow. That looks okay, just a little flat compared to other colors. Blues and green are especially improved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you look at bulbs on drsfostersmith.com, most of the bulb descriptions include a graph of the bulb's color spectrum.

The aqua-glo bulbs are pretty high in blue, orange and red, so they should do a good job of bringing out the blue in your fish.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i just use walmart cf 15 watt bulbs in 6500k temp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts