The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my Coralife Compact strip fell into my tank yesterday, Its 2x65W double linear strip 6,700k. I need to know how long my tank has before the plants die, and do I need this much WPG? I have some HC and Anubias, as well as Terenthria.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hc can probably tolerate 4 days of darkness anubias more.
Sucks though, about the lights falling in.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Some plants will suffer after a few days. Some hardier ones will be fine for a few weeks.
Before you change the bulbs, dry the whole thing out and test them. I've submerged light fixtures far too many times. I've been amazed to see the bulb still glowing under water.
Air pumps too. I dry them in front of the basement dehumidifier for a few days and then open them up to watch for sparks when I plug them in to test. No casualties yet.

Yes, I do have GFI units on most of the tank circuits. ... I just realized that I've never knocked an electrical device into a GFI protected tank.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Most all fixtures are driven by electronic ballasts and are sealed. Once it dries out odds are it will be good to go.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
What will happen if I change to 10000k Bulbs?
Whole libraries can be filled with light value strings. My personal choice is a mix 10K and 67K. Good light to my taste veiwing the tank and the plants do well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts