The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lights for 50 Gallon

274 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  lathamb
I have a 50 Gallon Aquarium (36 x 18 x 19) with clear glass lid; and looking to get more red from my red plants.

Current lighting is one Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED KLC (24"), and one Finnex Planted + (fugeray, 36").
I have the KLC on a morning/night ramp up/down, and have the Fugeray come on for about 6 hours per day.

I use CO2 injection and dose according to the Niloc G guidance for 15 ml per 55 gallons EI, minus nitrates as I have plenty of fish.

Don't really have any algae issues, the plants seem healthy, good pearling and growth, but the red plants I have had (Alternanthera reineckii, ludwigia repens) just don't seem to get that red, especially on the tops. They are more of a greenish brown.

Any idea if that lighting combo Is giving enough light intensity for those red plants? Or should I be looking at other issues?

I was thinking of trying to cobble together a T5 setup (but 36" bulbs aren't that easy to find for what I think I'd need), or maybe upgrading to a Chihiros light.

If this is the wrong forum I'll gladly move. Thanks,
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,917 Posts
A picture can help. Also keep in mind that lights with more red spectrum will reflect more red light off of plants. So changing spectrum on lights used can help by itself.

When you say you are dosing EI minus nitrogen, what does that mean?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've attached a couple of pics.

I'm dosing KH2PO4, K2SO4, MgSO₄, and CSM+B, but not the KNO3, as my fish waste give more than enough nitrates.

Plant Plant community Pet supply Organism Terrestrial plant

Tank overview
Plant Terrestrial plant Flower Grass Groundcover

Closeup of my Alternanthera Reineckii.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts