The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a BML light for xmas and a solunar controller. I just had to replace my tank due to a leak and upgraded to a bigger one. Now I'm searching for a new light to go on it. The BML dutch i had was only 12 inch and I need something more 36-48" Are there comparable lights out there that are compatible with the BML solunar controller?

I was considering getting a solarmax or 6500k from BML hort site before it goes down. Any thoughts of on those lights? The solar max spectrum looks similar to that of a 96watt colarlife 6700k which i used for years and years.

If my tank was gonna spring a leak i wish it was a month ago :(

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Re: SolarMax 6500k. Here was a thread that has since been taken off the main forum site that has some comments about the SolarMax: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/185-build-my-led/1003793-bml-aquarium-closing-shop-2.html

Not sure about the Solunar Controller.

Ben
Solunar control is fairly versatile. Can do PWM and analog dimming..
PROBLEM is I don't know what voltage to PWM is.. Can be problematic.
Secondly finding "matching" lights is problematic or cost inefficient. Many Reef centric lights use 0-10v dimming..

As to the solar max, .

still have no clue why BML dissed it for our use....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure why they dissed it either. Cara was practically beggin us not to put those over an aquarium. It does seem to have a little more green and less red than your typical plant light oriented for aquatic use, perhaps it might be harder to control algae under this light?

Their 6300k has significantly less red too.

Anyone know if perhaps an ecoxotic full spectrum could be used with a standalone controller? I know thereis has a timer/dimmer built in, but it would be nice to get things all running on a single controller. Perhaps ecoxotic can run my BML instead?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.