The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hwhat will be a good light for a 20 galoon tall tank i like t5s.i am going to hevily plant this tank. i was going to get a aquaticlife dual t5 24 watts a bulb but i was told this was 2 strong s it. anyone have a better idea if that is 2 strong cant pay more than 90.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put a ray2 led on a 20 tall, and it was too much. Before I got a timer, if I forgot and left it on more than 10 hours it would start getting covered in algea.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Key thing to decide before you pick out a light fixture; are you trying to set up a high light/ high tech tank that will require CO2, or a low light/ low tech tank without CO2?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I wanted it highly planted thag all I really know lol will one bulb of aqua sun t5 ho bulb work. But I dont really want to deal with co2.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you don't want to run CO2 on this tank, then you need to stick with a "low tech/ low light" setup.

I'd definitely stick with a single bulb rather than dual bulb T5HO fixture. A dual bulb T5NO (Normal Output rather than High Output) would be another option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have a dual t5 no coralife but I didnt think it was strong enof you think it will be fine. I think its 15 watts a bulb

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think dwarf sag should grow well with that light level.

It's very hard to find a variety of dwarf sag that won't grow 6-8" though. You might have better luck with Helanthium tenellum 'narrow' (formerly Echinodorus tenellus 'narrow') as it usually maxes out at 2-4" tall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts