The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I find balance so that my tank isn't overrun with algae but the plants still get enough light and nutrients?

I have easy low tech plants. Amazon sword (potted) a bunch of Giant Hygro, Java Fern, Rotella Indica and Anubias. Brown algae used to be a problem so I cut the hours of light from 10 to 8 hrs. That did help a lot. But, now I'm dealing with green algae, some spots so dark green it's almost black.

I sometimes use seachem flourish root tabs, and Api leaf zone liquid fert but, not often as I'm told these plants don't really need fertilizer.

This is a 20 long tank with soft water and the PH is about 6.8 if that makes a difference.

Would appreciate any help, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Try reducing the light intensity. If you can't control the light intensity directly you can use floating plants to help reduce it or you can raise the light.

Reduce light duration.

For example, I have similar plants. I run my lighting at 50% intensity for 6 hours. On either side of the 6hrs It's still on but at very low intensity so I can enjoy it but it doesn't raise heck with the algae.

I also feed the fish sparingly 1x/day @ 6 days/week.

This approach took care of 97.63% of my algae problems. I know the remaining 2.37% is in there lurking though...

50% weekly water change...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Not an expert on planted tanks, but maybe try some floaters. How quickly are your stem plants growing? Basically you need something scouring excess nutrients to compete with the algae. The slower growers like anubias and java fern can't really do that. Also, what do you have in the tank for algae eaters?

As an aside, I grabbed some Leaf Zone at first because it was convenient, but after looking into it more, switched to Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green which is much more complete. They also sell Easy Carbon, which is an algae inhibitor similar to Flourish Excel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try reducing the light intensity. If you can't control the light intensity directly you can use floating plants to help reduce it or you can raise the light.

Reduce light duration.

For example, I have similar plants. I run my lighting at 50% intensity for 6 hours. On either side of the 6hrs It's still on but at very low intensity so I can enjoy it but it doesn't raise heck with the algae.

I also feed the fish sparingly 1x/day @ 6 days/week.

This approach took care of 97.63% of my algae problems. I know the remaining 2.37% is in there lurking though...

50% weekly water change...
Thanks. So yes I can definitely adjust the light intensity to 50%.
Not an expert on planted tanks, but maybe try some floaters. How quickly are your stem plants growing? Basically you need something scouring excess nutrients to compete with the algae. The slower growers like anubias and java fern can't really do that. Also, what do you have in the tank for algae eaters?

As an aside, I grabbed some Leaf Zone at first because it was convenient, but after looking into it more, switched to Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green which is much more complete. They also sell Easy Carbon, which is an algae inhibitor similar to Flourish Excel.
My Giant Hygro stem plants grow really fast, so fast that I'm constantly trimming and planting more. Started with 3 plants now it's 14 lol I did read that this is normal though as they tend to grow quickly.

Right now I just have my same Nerite snail from when it was a 10 gallon, looking for something else, I think right now my options are Chinese algae eater or pleco. Definitely don't want more snails.

Try reducing the light intensity. If you can't control the light intensity directly you can use floating plants to help reduce it or you can raise the light.

Reduce light duration.

For example, I have similar plants. I run my lighting at 50% intensity for 6 hours. On either side of the 6hrs It's still on but at very low intensity so I can enjoy it but it doesn't raise heck with the algae.

I also feed the fish sparingly 1x/day @ 6 days/week.

This approach took care of 97.63% of my algae problems. I know the remaining 2.37% is in there lurking though...

50% weekly water change...
Ok so I'm gonna give this a try! I set the light at 50% I'll leave it for 6 hrs. And then switch to 10% for another 2-3 hrs. I can also switch to just red and white leds for those extra hours. Normally it's red blue white leds which is supposed to be full spectrum.

Try reducing the light intensity. If you can't control the light intensity directly you can use floating plants to help reduce it or you can raise the light.

Reduce light duration.

For example, I have similar plants. I run my lighting at 50% intensity for 6 hours. On either side of the 6hrs It's still on but at very low intensity so I can enjoy it but it doesn't raise heck with the algae.

I also feed the fish sparingly 1x/day @ 6 days/week.

This approach took care of 97.63% of my algae problems. I know the remaining 2.37% is in there lurking though...

50% weekly water change...
How do I know if the plants are getting enough light?
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top