The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't buy any LED without Watt labels for plants. They want to hide:"The light is ONLY bright enough for fishes not plants, so we hide the Watts". This is a quick tip to filter LED lights; another tip is to see the price: US$200 is for 30", US$300 for 48". Any lights are below those thresholds are not bright enough for plants.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is a quick tip to filter LED lights; another tip is to see the price: US$200 is for 30", US$300 for 48". Any lights are below those thresholds are not bright enough for plants.
that last part isnt true, i've gotten 5 LED bulbs not worth more than 20$ each and i can grow any plant, including the very high light carpet plants and red plants.

As for the fixture above, i think you're right about that :p it'll be fine for Java ferns bout i doubt u can grow much more then low light plants with it

·
Registered
11 Posts
US$200 is for 30", US$300 for 48"

I am talking about aquarium light fixture products for pets I can find in North Americans. They are built by inches. Like the one in your link. I am not talking about DIY LEDs in Ebay or LED bulbs selling at Home depot or Lowes. That is why people want to DIY their own light not by inches.

Sunlight is free and you cannot build it.

·
Registered
295 Posts

I am talking about aquarium light fixture products for pets I can find in North Americans. They are built by inches. Like the one in your link. I am not talking about DIY LEDs in Ebay or LED bulbs selling at Home depot or Lowes. That is why people want to DIY their own light not by inches.

i'm using sera x-change tubes in my high tech tank, they work awesome, and are specifically made for aquaria

·
Registered
143 Posts

this is the first time i ever heard that led for plants is based on price..

·
Registered
125 Posts
A while back I called aqueon to ask what the watts were on one of their starter kit tanks and they told me they use .5 watt LED's. Many planted tankers recommend at least 1 watt LED's. It also depends on tank dimension's, I've got a 12" beamswork with .5 watt LED's on a 5.5 gallon that grows plants (water wisteria and bacopa) and that's with with a dirty glass lid. Beamswork is another option too for good but cheaper led lighting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A while back I called aqueon to ask what the watts were on one of their starter kit tanks and they told me they use .5 watt LED's. Many planted tankers recommend at least 1 watt LED's. It also depends on tank dimension's, I've got a 12" beamswork with .5 watt LED's on a 5.5 gallon that grows plants (water wisteria and bacopa) and that's with with a dirty glass lid. Beamswork is another option too for good but cheaper led lighting.
Their planted tank versions are no joke. Not top of the line, but effective! They are all I use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.