The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and planted tanks so be patient ? I've been considering upgrading my light and was hoping y'all could help me out. I have a 29G tank (30"x12", 18" high). My stock light is a 24" T8 20W. Currently, I have two small Java ferns and an Anubias nana, but would love to plant more (water wisteria, Java moss, etc). My plants seem to be doing .... okay. They certainly aren't thriving. I've had them in the tank for about a month and my Anubias has had one new leaf sprout (I know they are slow growing so not sure if that's good progress or not). I've been considering buying a 30" Finnex Stingray LED for an upgrade. I am staying low tech/low light so I don't want to go over board with the lighting. My main question is do you think I would see a major difference between my current stock light and the stingray? I am open to other lighting options if you've got them! Also, would it help to does excel and flourish if I keep the current light?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I haven't been in this hobby long. Based on reviews, I think the finnex brand in general is a great light. So I bought the planted + 24/7. After 3 days my plants were already looking better. I have a 4ft 55 gallon and 1 seems to be plenty of light. But I don't know specs and details. Someone else should be able to give more advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
My stock light is a 24" T8 20W. Currently, I have two small Java ferns and an Anubias nana, but would love to plant more (water wisteria, Java moss, etc). My plants seem to be doing .... okay. They certainly aren't thriving. I've had them in the tank for about a month and my Anubias has had one new leaf sprout (I know they are slow growing so not sure if that's good progress or not).

I've been considering buying a 30" Finnex Stingray LED for an upgrade.

I am staying low tech/low light so I don't want to go over board with the lighting.

My main question is do you think I would see a major difference between my current stock light and the stingray? I am open to other lighting options if you've got them! Also, would it help to does excel and flourish if I keep the current light?
T8 will grow the low light plants you are suggesting.

I am not familiar with StingRay light.
If purchased and it is too bright some window screen would cut it back some.

Excel and flourish are not all that plants need.

Here is an excellent site to review.
https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'd recommend the Stingray for your low tech tank. That's the only light I use on my 3 tanks--two 20 highs and a 55. The 55 is pushing it though at 19" to the substrate but for your 29 which probably has at least 2" of substrate in it that should only be 17", accounting for the legs on the fixture. You can check out my tanks under my username if you'd like to see what the spectrum looks like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.