The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to detail how I installed Fluval Plant 3.0 onto my Spec V (using the lid)

BACKGROUND

I have had my Spec V for 3 years now. The stock light was able to grow most of my plants, but I wasn’t happy with how I wasn’t able to ramp up and down naturally. It also isn’t strong enough to turn my red root floaters red. I use the supplied lid to keep fish from jumping so I didn’t want to use a light that would just sit on the lid. I have been interested in the Fluval Pant 3.0, but wasn’t sure how to mount it on my Spec V. I debated between the Fluval Plant Nano vs the Fluval Plant 3.0 15-24” bar. Because the Spec V is a long (peninsula), I didn’t think the Nano would have the spread I needed for the tank length and was set on getting the Fluval Plant 3.0 15-24”. Sadly, the Fluval 3.0 does not have a way to mount it on the attached side mount of the Spec V (thanks Fluval…). I did my online research and could not find someone who has done this yet, but was able to piece together enough information from related builds to give it a try.

HOW I DID IT

Credit to user: Student of the Game, who detailed how he mounted his Fluval Plant 3.0 lights on his non spec V tank for giving me most of the info needed

Materials:
Spec V tank
Fluval Plant 3.0 15”-24”
Current USA Orbit LED Adjustable Tank Mount
Fluval LED Light Fixture Mounting Clips; Product code RHG14565
2x Metric Bolts (M4 x 12) for the mounting clip
Mini Wood Craft Sticks (popsicle sticks) bought at any craft store

The Current Orbit mount comes with its own mounting clips (2) for their lights, but these do not fit the Fluval Plant 3.0 (way too big). There are 3 height levels you can set the tank mount at. I chose the highest which has the light at about 6” above the tank.

For this reason, it is necessary to purchase the Fluval LED mounting clips. The included screws with the Fluval clip do not fit the securing nut that came with the Current bracket. I purchased metric bolts (MR x 12) from my local hardware store and they fit the Fluval clips and Current Orbit nut perfectly to secure it to the Mount.

The Fluval 3.0 light can then easily slide into the mounting clips. I was surprised to find the light to be heavier than I anticipated. In fact, the mound and light together are quite heavy and substantial.

The next trick is mounting it to the tank. Since the stock Spec V tank mount is silicone to the tank, there is the option of using a razor to scrape it and remove it, but I want to keep it in case I want to use it in the future. The mount has 2 pieces with a void of space in between to hold the stock light in place. The Current Orbit mount has to be in the same spot in order to be centered on the tank. Because it would be mounted over the existing mount and glass with screws securing it, when I first put the mount on, it was not very secure and started to bow because of that empty space located within the original tank mount. This wasn’t ideal and I that there would be a high risk of it breaking. I needed to fill the space so I wedged popsicle sticks into the space to make it more solid. 2 sticks on all sides seemed fill it and the mount was much more solid afterwards.

If you do use the Fluval tank lid, there will be a small problem. The base of the Current Orbit mount is much thicker and wider than the opening for the stock lid in the filter section. I am debating between buying a Kraken lid which has no cover for the filter area or cutting the stock lid opening wider to accommodate the base of the mount. This shouldn’t be too big of a deal.

Well that’s why I have now. Now I have to rescape and transfer my livestock/plants from my other tank over to the new tank. I am hoping I have even better results with this light. Now will come the fun part with playing with the settings. I am keeping them super low (~25%) first since there is so much room to play with. The stock light was much easier to adjust since it only had 3 settings (on, off, or blue).

Hopefully this helps someone who has considered this light for the Spec V as well. Time will tell how durable this is, but it seems to be working so far. Let me know if you have any thoughts/questions to add.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's a nice looking tank. I am looking to get back into the hobby after a 2 year hiatus and was looking into the Fluval tanks. Always leary of the lighting, but this post gives me some ideas that would allow a carpet. Good Luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a nice looking tank. I am looking to get back into the hobby after a 2 year hiatus and was looking into the Fluval tanks. Always leary of the lighting, but this post gives me some ideas that would allow a carpet. Good Luck!
I’m pretty happy with the Spec V. I like the Plant 3.0 light so far too. It’s definitely an upgrade from the stock light and I was finally able to get the red root floaters go turn red under the Plant 3.0. It never happened under my stock spec light. I still have to fiddle with the light settings to see what will work best with my set up.

I’m the past, I did manage to a DHG carpet with the fluval stock light and CO2. It may have been easier if I had a better light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.