The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 10g and a 20 long. I'm looking to put low/med light plants in both, and I doubt that I will be adding co2.

1) what lights should I use
2) What should the par readings at the substrate be?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've never been one for par readings or worrying about all that so much in a low tech setup. Some people get too fancy for their own good and stress over alot of nothing. Add light, add plants, add ferts to a small degree, and adjust accordingly. The plants added will dictate the amount and types of ferts needed. Just my. 02

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would say 25-30 PAR at the substrate would put you in the higher realm of low, by Hoppy's standards. This should nullify any potential algae problems you might have without co2, should you go higher, I would go with a 2 bulb 24" HOT5 for the 20 long I like aquaticlife's for the price, there's not much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Well I don't know what a "Hots" light is so it may be cheaper than what I would use.
I would get one for the 10g and two for the 20g. Those clamp on light hoods which cost about $9 each at Home depot. One 6500K CFL bulb for the 10g and two for the 20g tank. Some people just paint the outside black and suspend them by the cord from a bookshelf bracket over the tank. And they usually take off the clamp.
And the 13W bulb is about 30 PAR so don't use the 26W one.That's if it's close to the top of the tank. Even that will produce some GSA and you may need to raise it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I was going to use led lights on the tanks. So probably the Finnex fugeray 12" fixture fit the 10g, and then idk what for the 20 long.

You may run into algae problems without co2 on a 10g and a fugeray, I would stick with what Raymond said, at least for the 10, it's cheaper and will keep the light at the lower end of the PAR charts so you don't end up with a ton of algae

·
Registered
453 Posts
They do last a long time, but once they go, there is no replacing the led's 99% of the time, I have 2 LEDs on a true lumen strip that have gone out, and once there gone you have a few hundred dollar paper weight, whereas on t-5's, CFL's and other fluorescents they are built to take replacements forever. That being said, if you must go with LEDs I like the BML Dutch style or 10000k fixtures, go to Buildmyled.com and check them out, those are the next LEDs I'm going to try

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the current satellite plus that has worked very well. It did go down once however I had a new light in two days from the company. Because I also run a Fluval aqualife being without the Current was ok and I appreciated that my replacement went out in the mail the first business day after I spoke with the company.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I wanted to use led lights for a low to medium light 20 long what other irons are there. I also am considering florescent lights, but don't know what to use. Abby hero I'd associated.

If you were considering spending the type of money to get LEDs, then a nice T5HO fixture isn't out of reach at all, I think you could get some good results with a decent 2 bulb T5 just my $0.02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.