The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all of my tanks set to come on at 9:00 AM and go off at 9:00 PM. However, I'm finding myself to stay up usually until midnight or a bit after.

I don't sleep in because I'd rather make the most of every day than sleep. However, on weekdays I'm usually at school, so it doesn't matter what time the lights come on.

Is it okay to set the lights to come on at 10:00 AM and off at 10:00 PM? Could I extend the lighting time and do 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM? What would be best? (These are heavily planted tanks, two medium light and one high light)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Since you will be gone during the day you could run lights from 10-2, then turn them off from 2-5, and back on from 5-12 or or whatever. Some people will argue the "siesta" will help your plants grow a little faster too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know how u feel.I sleep an average of 5 hours a day, but I'm a night person. Its OK to run your lights as long as you don't get algea problems. Fish and plants need a night period. Run it for a month and see how it affects your tank.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Unless you've got some really bright ambient light (or a window shining on the tank or something), the actually times of the photoperiod won't matter anywhere near as much as the length of it.

I'm a big fan of the split photoperiod, mostly because it lets me see my tank/critters when I'm waking/getting ready, and also when I've returned/am settling in. Although, especially for low-tech/dirted tanks, there is some evidence that the split photoperiod (or 'siesta') can actually be beneficial.

Eh, if nothing else, try what you want and see if it works...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.