The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 33 long tank, looking for LED lighting suggestions. It's a low tech tank, so I don't need anything high end.

I haven't decided if I want to do two lights, one for each side of the tank (placed 2' from the ends), or one long light.

Some of the lights I've been looking at include Beamswork, Nicrew, Shupat and Aquaneat. I've heard good things about the first two lights but would appreciate other ideas.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
I don't know what you're going to have in there. But I have 33L with a 48" generic LED light bar from ebay. $50. I have moss, anubias, java ferns, crypts, and water sprite. all growing even with a pretty intense coating of dwarf water lilies shading. also have pothos growing out the back creating more shade.

it's shallow enough you can use a $50 LED light bar and $8 timer. This photo doesn't have all listed, it's a photo of setup 2.0 on this tank. I need to get a new one, I'm at setup 2.4 or something right now. lol

Pretty sure this is the same one I have. Nicrew, $49.99.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I've got a 33 long tank, looking for LED lighting suggestions. It's a low tech tank, so I don't need anything high end.

I haven't decided if I want to do two lights, one for each side of the tank (placed 2' from the ends), or one long light.

Some of the lights I've been looking at include Beamswork, Nicrew, Shupat and Aquaneat. I've heard good things about the first two lights but would appreciate other ideas.
For that tank you don't need or want a lot of light without co2. A dimmer might be nice to have on a light. Two to three Asta 20 Freshwater lights could do what you want if you were interested in point source lights instead the bars.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Aaronious I would guess that's the $60 light you have, that's 48-54" since it spans the length of the aquarium? It also looks 'taller' than the light from Amazon. Maybe was cheaper on Ebay?

@minorhero If I were to go that route, I'd prefer cheaper ones! :LOL: I have a similar style for my 10g tank, but it's a bar of LED's.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
@Aaronious I would guess that's the $60 light you have, that's 48-54" since it spans the length of the aquarium? It also looks 'taller' than the light from Amazon. Maybe was cheaper on Ebay?

@minorhero If I were to go that route, I'd prefer cheaper ones! :LOL: I have a similar style for my 10g tank, but it's a bar of LED's.
Two desk lamps with br30 style smart bulbs will also work. I've used this setup a couple of times now and planning a much larger tank soonish for same.

Or just go with the light bars, just include a dimmer.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts

Yes, this is the 48" bar. I raised it myself. the brackets extend to 56" safely. probably closer to 60". So I pulled them out, flipped them and bent them. Only issue is with the lids. So I am working on that. One side I forced in and it chipped the glass perfectly. But I don't wanna chance that again so I am probably going to try and thin out the metal there.

But once that is sorted out, and this is the case with the one I forced... it now sits wonderfully. I keep one of the metal legs in the crease of the lid. So there is only one point that needs to be whittled down, whether it's metal or glass I haven't decided yet. Here in the photo is the side I did not force. The closer part of the metal bracket is in the folding area of the lid and cause absolutely zero issues.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Aaronious That's what I was thinking you may have done! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Love that idea actually!

I've been looking at the Nicrew SkyLED Plus light.... it's a bit brighter than the ClassicLED and I can get a dimmer for it. (dimmer works for either one.

Is it the Nicrew on both the 33 long and underneath it?

The alternative would be a Beamswork EA FSpec

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I've been looking at the Nicrew SkyLED Plus light.... it's a bit brighter than the ClassicLED and I can get a dimmer for it. (dimmer works for either one.

Is it the Nicrew on both the 33 long and underneath it?

The alternative would be a Beamswork EA FSpec
no, under is some 36" light that came with my 75g used. light on the 33L, which is the 48", was to replace the 36" on the 75. the 75 now has a Fluval 3.0.

So under there is the 36" led bar. the two 10 gallons on the side were not getting enough light. this weekend I put in two more in-tank lights, one on each tank, blue/white LED bars, about 50 lights total, 50/50 on the colors. Hopefully this will be enough light as all my tanks are planted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.