The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty back again with questions about lighting.

I had placed an order for a Coralife 48" 2x65 watt PC light only to get a phone call a few days later informing me that apparently it has been discontinued!

I'd like to grow anubias, mosses, java ferns, and crypts and a few other low to medium light plants, and avoid using c02 since for a tank this size it would cost me a fortune to supplement it. The tank itself would be home to fish and shrimps most likely.

Of important note is that I live in an apartment, and can't screw anything into the spray on ceiling to hang a light fixture so the light would have to sit on the glass top of my aquarium or have legs to support it.

Anyone have suggestions??

·
Registered
627 Posts
Post the tank dimensions and you'll probably get better feedback. Tank height makes all the difference from what I understand.

Open top? Retrofit for a canopy? Do you plan on planting the substrate, or just the driftwood closer to the surface?

Just a suggestion.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a standard 75g which is about 48'' long, 18'' high and about 16'' wide.

No canopy at all to fit the lighting in. Can't seem to find one for less than 300 dollars online if I can find one at all. Just has a glass top and that's it.

Planting the substrate for sure, there is driftwood in there as well, which I was expecting to attach java ferns to.

The original idea was 2 T5HO, which turned out was too much lighting, so I opted for 2x65watt compact florescent. As I mentioned, the only single bulb CF fixture I could find was discontinued. So I wasn't sure if anyone had a particular brand they might recommend for a tank such as this.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you can find Coralife 2 bulb T5NO lights, you could use two of them, one near the back and one near the front of the tank. That would be appropriate lighting for a low light, non-CO2 tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.