The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I soon plan to restart my 30 Gallon (36" long x 12" wide x 16" deep) and need to buy another light fixture (I previously had Current USA 2 X 39 W T5 HO fixture but it doesn't work anymore : tried to replace bulbs but still not working so I guess problem is with the ballast). I think this was a bit too much light w/o CO2 anyways (only dosed ferts and Excel). Wasn't going too bad but had a bit of hair algae.

Anyways, the new setup I want to do will not use pressurized CO2, I kinda want it to be low maintenance so it doesn't feel like slavery too much. I still have some ferts (Seachem) and Excel if i need to supplement carbon.

I'd like to have a light fixture that will give me a good coverage of the tank so I'm not quite sure if a single bulb of T5 HO would achieve that goal. Haven't found any single T5HO 39 W light fixtures except the Hagen GLO and the price seems quite close to the double light fixtures. I would consider buying another double light fixture if it's possible to turn only 1 bulb on at a time but haven't found any fixtures like this yet. I read that T5 HO bulbs were good because they maintained their light output better than conventional bulbs. Not quite sure though if this makes much of a difference and I don't really want to replace the bulbs every year "in case" light output had gone down (don't have a PAR meter yet so how would I know anyways?).

I only looked at fluorescent lighting because it's what I'm used to but if you guys have other suggestions please feel free to share ;). LED seems to be the new stuff on the market but I'm not sure if the price/quality is up with what we previously have been using for years.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys I think I'm gonna go with a double T5NO fixture. Anyone know where I could order the Coralife T5NO 36 inch fixture (I'm from Canada)? They have it on amazon.com but say they don't ship to Canada.

And do you think I can eventually use my spare bulbs T5HO in a T5NO fixture? I know we can't put T5NO bulbs in a HO fixture but can we do it the other way around?

Thanks again much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.