The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone see a problem with how I have my lighting set up? I have the regular light fixture that came with the hood and an under cabinet light fixture. Both wich are holding 2x 15 watt flourescent strip bulbs. I had put a piece of my birds old cage to hold the lighting up as shown above. The only way to hold the fixtures up is by using this grate. Is this a safe set up? If not can anyone tell me how to make this safer but still keep both sets of bulbs?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can also use the egg crate! costs about 10 bucks for a 4'x2' sheet. Cut to fit. Will post a picture in a minute!
Thats another good Idea. I need to see which one I like better. The egg crate will be cool for my outside tank as we have this pesky cat lol. I think Glass may be the way to go. I also am getting petsmart to order some in.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Although a eggcrate is a great idea, just remember it'll cut down on your lighting.
Yeah I was reading this one forum and it said that eggcrate blocks the lighting and reduces the ammount. I think it will be better for my outside tank. But I am looking into getting a sheet of glass.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Buying a "glass lid" from a LFS can be expensive.

All i did for my glass lid was measure the size i needed and went down to the local autoglass guy (crystal glass or apple auto glass are the stores up here) and he cut me the size i needed (1/8 inch thick) for my 33 gallon for only $15. Then i just bought some of those 3M adhesive hooks and use them lift the glass on and off the tank.

For a 10g i would say you could do the whole thing for $10.

James

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buying a "glass lid" from a LFS can be expensive.

All i did for my glass lid was measure the size i needed and went down to the local autoglass guy (crystal glass or apple auto glass are the stores up here) and he cut me the size i needed (1/8 inch thick) for my 33 gallon for only $15. Then i just bought some of those 3M adhesive hooks and use them lift the glass on and off the tank.

For a 10g i would say you could do the whole thing for $10.

James
I am comparing prices at OSH, Home Depot and a few other places to see whats a better deal. $10 is a great price for me honestly.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
X2 for the glass top. For a 10 galllon you could probably duplicate the sliding top in DIY for under $20.00. Youi'd only need 1/8" glass for that.

Tommy

·
Registered
420 Posts
GAH! :icon_redf I suck:icon_frow

...................Anyways... Don't do eggcrate.
Go to Home Depot and go to the Aisle where the fiberglass window/door screen is. Right next to those rolls are sheets of Acrylic/Plexi-glass

Get the thinnest thickness sheet that will fit your tank.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GAH! :icon_redf I suck:icon_frow

...................Anyways... Don't do eggcrate.
Go to Home Depot and go to the Aisle where the fiberglass window/door screen is. Right next to those rolls are sheets of Acrylic/Plexi-glass

Get the thinnest thickness sheet that will fit your tank.
Yeah thats where I was intending to go. Acrylic/plexiglass. Got it thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah thats where I was intending to go. Acrylic/plexiglass. Got it thanks.
Try to find a piece that you don't have to cut, coz Home Dizzle won't cut it for you.

You didn't get my text this morning, did you???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.