The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE CURRENT SETUP

This is what I have constructed thus far. Its a vivarium setup ontop that will hold an assortment of tropical plants with a misting system, drip-wall and two waterfalls. Underneath is a 30 gal tank that I want to have a successful planted tank setup. My knowledge on aquatic plants is limited and on a thread I posted earlier it was suggested that I would not have enough light from a canopy above the top section of the tank to grow plants in the lower half of the aquatic tank. I bought a 1x55 watt ballast kit from AHS and had planed on enclosing it in a water proof casing and fitting it underneath the land part of the Vivarium to give ample light to the aquatic plants below. As Murphys law states..."If something can go wrong it will"...and Murphy has struck. In my construction process I totally screwed up on allowances for the 55w light setup and now there is no room for it to fit

SOLUTION

Through my search on this site I have read about the various levels of plants that require different amounts of light. From the top of my canopy to the bottom of the planted tank is exactly 4 ft (48 in). If I purchased a 2x96w kit from AHS and placed it at the top of the canopy, do you believe that I would recieve ample light at the bottom of the tank. I know that the strength of the light disapates (sp?) over distance, but is there some chart that measures that dissipation over space? Any help would greatly be appreciated

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Raising the light that high off will, like you said, make it lose intensity. Also, the light spread will be enormous and you'll light up the whole room!

How long is your 30 gallon tank? Can you get another setup for it? ie: 2x36w and enclose it like you would've done to your 55w kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was thinking about trying to go that route with two smaller lights, but thought I would start from square one with the possible solutions and try to see if the easiest would work. Another reason I would like to around the route of the added lights now is because I see a potential pain in the @$$ when it comes to a burnt out bulb. I'd have to drain the tank partially to get to the bulb. I want this to look good though so if I have to take the road less traveled by then so be it... :icon_frow ....I'll take some measurements for the 2x36w kit...i believe they were 17" in length...thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey Stud- Ok, can you hang the light to the "underneath" of the land area? (i.e. the "top" of your bottom tank?)

Did that make sense?

I can Photochop it if you don't get what I'm sayin....

????

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If you don't mind light spillage, then your 96W idea would work. What are you planning to keep in the planted tank? 4 feet is a LONG distance for light to travel...with some of that going through water. If you want more demanding plants or carpet plants, I'd definately put it right over the water instead of from higher up.

And not to bring up the light spillage issue, but it's a huge PITA and is pretty horrible IMO. You only want to see the tank when you look at it, not when you're doing something else.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yoko that was the original plan...just ran out of space...

What is PITA?
Really?? Deng...is it not clearing becoz of the background too thick or something???

Pain In The A$$ :icon_eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh haha...:iamwithst ...yeah i don't need my room looking like a UFO landing site...i'll have to think about this one some more but definately think I want to go with the 2x36w kit...no sense in wasting quality for lazyness...thanks guys

·
Got wood???
1,094 Posts
You have a couple of choices the way i see it. You could fab a light hood that fits over your canopy / vivarium that houses enough light to get to the bottom. ( I would overdrive (ODNO) four flourescent bulbs to get that amount of light.)

The amount of light you need is more dependant on what type of plants your put into the viv; you could have a very nice planted area down there. ( Anubias, Crypts, mosses etc.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.