The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,
I have a couple questions that I couldn’t quite find definite answers to on the online so I thought I’d check here. First question, I have a FluvalSmart full spectrum led light on my 75 gal tank. I redid the tank and made this one plant based. My sunrise is on from 8:30-10 and my daylight from 10-18:00 and my evening/night from 18-1:00. I’ve read that the plants require 6-8 hours of sunlights per day (which I have) but my light is dimmed and set to low settings throughout the evening and into the night until 1:00 when the light turns off completely. Now my question is, will the evening lights being on have a negative effect on my plants? Seeing that the lights are on a very low setting during the evening I’m assuming that they will not, but I’m not entirely sure. I’ll tag pictures below to show the setting. My second question, My substrate is sorta like lasagna, with my aqua soil on the bottom (very thick) and aquarium sand on top for decoration. Most of my larger plant roots are reaching the Aqua soil but some of my smaller foreground plants don’t have roots that reach deep enough into the aqua soil. Will they still be able to survive with roots in the sand? They should still be receiving the nutrients from the aqua soil to grow right? I’m feeding my plants with the proper fertilizers and nutrients regularly and I have my co2 set up to come on one hour before the lights turn on and one hour before the lights turn off (18:00) . The tank has only been set up about three weeks now and some of the plants had dying leafs to begin with. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated
-thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't think it's going to hurt much, except you might have more algae problems with more light unless you watch nutrient levels.

My big tank is on a similar long schedule, and everything does fine (mostly planted with swords and vallisnaria) since my plants are nutrient hogs and starve out most algae pretty well. That tank only gets dosed via root tabs though to avoid too much food in the water column, as I find that adding very much fertilizer to the water causes the algae to rear it's ugly green head.

I can see though that the sword in front of your tank is mid-transition when the photo was taken. You might want to pinch off those dying leaves (if you haven't already), as they will quickly become algae farms as they decay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Fluval Aquasky lights on a few of my tanks. This is my experience: Like you, I like to have visibility into the tank for more than the standard photo period so I originally had set a longer period with very low white light on both sides of the standard period. What I found is that thread and hair algae will appear on the plants that are near the lights as they can grow during this low light period but the other main plants do not. Since there is no uptake competition the algae can get out of control. I had to reduce my total photo period and make the ramp/up ramp/down quicker than before and that seems to have solved the issue.
See the leave in the upper right close to the zebra nerite. This will happen to any leaves higher than midway up the tank.

Also I would recommend using custom adjustments as I think your current settings are too much. Especially the night setting. That is too bright. The Fluval night default is 5% blue only and for me in a Flex 32.5 even that is too bright for the fish. I lowered it to 3% and I would only run blue and a little red if you want but you want to keep it low.

Your daylight settings seem in line with what most are saying on this board, but personally I see good growth with less algae if I reduce the red and no blue during day. Remember the Fluval White is a full spectrum.

Here is my settings. (Not maxing because I have 2 strips and still dialing in ramp up and ramp down periods/amounts)

Also I see a CO2 diffuser but no bubbles. Just remember that timing your CO2 for proper plant uptake will be harder with a large low light overlap.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.