The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have ADA Solar Mini M lighting and when lights go on I can see that it badly affects fish and shrimps as they jump in different directions, some bump of the bottom and even uproot some plants. It's like literally they go blind for a few minutes...

So, I was thinking if there is any kind of electronic rheostat that I can plugin into my light controller and it can gradually increase lighting levels?

Please let me know how you handle this with single Solar Mini M lighting.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I'm not positive, but I don't think you can ramp up fluorescent lights. I did read recently where someone talked about using moon lights first, then the fluorescents.

I don't have my lights come on until 3:00 pm. By then there has been plenty of ambient light to wake the inhabitants up, and I don't see any startling when the light clicks on. When I used to turn it on in the morning before work, it looked like the tank was full of dead fish for 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have staged lighting but even then, I find my fish got started early morning. I am almost always in the room my tank is in while at home as it is my home studio. I find that if I have the lights on in the room, my fish don't react as badly to the instant light. It may also help that I have so many high wattage daylight bulbs from my 10 gallon hood that I keep trying to make fit and they are slightly too big, my room is bright lol.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
There are dim-able ballasts, but you'd have to have an electronic circuit to ramp up the brightness. It would be cheaper to put a small lamp on a timer to come on before your main lights. It could go off after your tanks lights come on. Using a two cycle timer you could have it come on again before your tank lights go off and shut down a few minutes later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts