The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years of not having a tank I've decided to set up my little 5g Fluval Spec V for my kids. Of course I planted and set it up the way I wanted to ;) It's a low light setup and I plan to keep it relatively simple. I've used the older Fluval Planted Plus lights years ago when they first came out but have since sold them. I'm looking for some advice on LED lighting that would be an upgrade from the stock Fluval light that came with the tank but not overkill for a small, low light setup. TYIA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go with the Fluval Plant 3.0 you can control light intensity and color with the phone app. There is a nano model. I have two on a 60 gallon cube, low light. I reduced the preset to half on all the color settings. That way you won't get an algae issue. Do half water changes frequently till the plants fill in and you can slowly adjust the intensity back up or leave it. Go Giants!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a Finnex FugeRay Planted+ clip on light that does the job. I have never measured what kind of PAR I'm getting, so I don't really know if it's really low or medium light, but I've got a very simple low tech set up and it's not too bright for that. It is no frills unlike the Plant 3.0, but it's a lot cheaper too.

One thing I recommend avoiding is all the cheap fixtures on amazon that just have white and blue diodes. Maybe they grow plants, but the color is just super ugly and makes the whole tank look worse. It's not worth the money saved, trust me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts