The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low tech planted goldfish 50G(48x12x19) and am really just wanting to keep it low light due to not wanting the upkeep of another high light tank.

With that said my Coralife 2x65watt PC just crapped out. Im not really interested in putting much into this tank and still feel that even an Odyssea T5 would be too much lighting. Thus I want a single bulb HOT5 which appears to be something hard to find. I did come across a sunlight supply fixture which I plan to put inside the shell of the Coralife. My tank is open top so I figure mounting the grow light inside the Coralife shell with the splash guard would be sufficient? Also would the fixture provide enough lighting to keep Jungle Val, Hygro sp Tiger going? I also have fern and anubias but those are good in about anything:hihi:

http://www.hydrogalaxy.com/growing-...-t5-high-output-fluorescent-strip-light-4-ft/

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 48" sunlight supply sunblaze fixture mounted inside of a plastic lowes gutter with 2 ah supply pc reflectors. The problem with this fixture is that the bulb sits so close to the housing. Less than 1/8" .A lot of light is lost due to restrike even with a quality reflector squeezed in between the bulb and housing. I do believe however that if you are hands on enough you could easily retrofit your existing light with the new ballast/bulb and possibly reflector and have a quality cheap light. No need for a splashguard.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I may try to do this, it would at least be a weekend project. Why do you say there is no need for the splashguard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts