The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I only have enough room for one light in my hood as of now. The light I have now is 20 watts (it came with the tank) I don't know what the K number on it is though.

I went to look at the LFS to see what they have for that size of bulb. All of them are 20 watts, but the K numbers are all different. I was wondering which one I should go with.

My plants are:
Wisteria
Anubias
Crypts
Amazon swords

The lights they have are:

Flora Glo 2800K
Sun Glo 4200K
Power Glo or Aqua Glo (can't remember which) 18000K
Marine Glo 18000K

Which should I get? I know for now, I'm under lit, I need a new fixture to fit more lights.... but which one would be the best for plants? They all say they promote plant growth....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't remember if it was the power glo or aqua glo, I just know it was a 18000K bulb.

They either had the power, or the aqua

If they don't have aqua should I get the power?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh, nevermind, they have both power and aqua.

I'll get the aqua glo :) thank you
Just my $0.02....

I had an aqua-glo I wasn't impressed with it, it was an old bulb as well.

I recommend the GE Spectra Rays or GE Aqua Rays bulbs, had very good results with both of them. If you are indeed looking for a standard 24" 20watt bulb either one of the two large home improvement warehouses carry the Spectra Rays last I checked and it will be much cheaper than the LFS. It will be on the pink side though similar to the aqua-glo, plus it makes red plants look awesome.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have store credit at my LFS, I give them guppies and mollies :) Thats why I was going to get it there, its $13 for a 24" light though...

I want something that makes my fish look nice, but makes my plants grow nice too. As nice as 20 watts for a 33 gal can do...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts