The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am currently setting up a little 5 gallon (standard size and shape aquarium) It is a very simple tank and will eventually house a Dwarf Puffer. Anyways I am only growing Java Fern in the tank but am open to other ideas.

My question right now is lighting. I was thinking one 13 watt CFL as I do have a fixture hanging around the house already. If anyone had LED suggestions, or better suggestions, I am open to that as well.

Thank you!
P.S. I will add I do have some planted tank experience. I had a ten gallon for years fully planted (but was lit with tubes) as well as a couple bigger tanks partially planted. This however is my first 5 gallon, and I also haven't been into planted tanks for quite a few years so the new LED stuff and other options available are new to me which is why I wanted to ask. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just assembled a diy led for a standard 5 gallon too. 10 watts and pretty bright at the height I hang it at. 3 x cree xp-g + heatsink about the size of my palm. 13 watt cfl is fine though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Finnex Fugeray 16" will work well so as long as the tank isn't less than 10" tall. At that height you should be in and around low-light.

After tax and shipping its just under $50.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts