The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I wanted to upgrade tanks and found an amazing deal on a 150 gal tank, but it is a taller tank (48"x24"x31"). I am planning to go as "high tech" as possible, CO2, ferts, etc.

My concern is lighting. I will have some carpeting plants, stem plants, and a few other things. My biggest concern is reaching the bottom with good lighting.

Now - I am not super "cheap", but also not looking to break the bank. I am very handy so DIY options are okay for me.

I know that PAR values are huge for LED's , which is the direction I want to go.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
Hi all!

I wanted to upgrade tanks and found an amazing deal on a 150 gal tank, but it is a taller tank (48"x24"x31"). I am planning to go as "high tech" as possible, CO2, ferts, etc.

My concern is lighting. I will have some carpeting plants, stem plants, and a few other things. My biggest concern is reaching the bottom with good lighting.

Now - I am not super "cheap", but also not looking to break the bank. I am very handy so DIY options are okay for me.

I know that PAR values are huge for LED's , which is the direction I want to go.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
A bit more needs/wants are needed..
First do you want tank mounting or suspension?
Do you want channel/color control or not?
Are there opaque cross braces and how many?
What overall look to you prefer i.e natural, exaggerated color, warm, cool?

You can light it from about $200 to $2000...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit more needs/wants are needed..
First do you want tank mounting or suspension?
Do you want channel/color control or not?
Are there opaque cross braces and how many?
What overall look to you prefer i.e natural, exaggerated color, warm, cool?

You can light it from about $200 to $2000...
My preference is suspension, and suspect it would be best no? especially with a 4 ft tank.
Color control is just a nice to have, preference is as close to natural as possible.
There is 1 cross brace.

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
Doesn't show suspension points though.. Tank mount only? Or easily?
32" says optional hanging kit..45.. no mention of it.
$540 but long arrival time.
Or
4 AI Prime freshwaters
$924 w/out mounts
Or
2 Of these. 7004's should be fine.
2 are about $1200. Pricy.

Next option is some form of T5 arrangement..

Add 2 ai primes for color and effects..
$650-ish.
Most of the above has some lensing to focus for deep tanks.

Using a bunch of tank mount bars can accomplish the same thing BUT not really suspended very high since the 120 degree diodes will start to spill light outside the tank.
7" off the water line is the "spot size" of 24" for a single row of leds to have 100% coverage at the water surface.
Like 4 of these is a possibility.
..https://www.aquacave.com/finnex-planted-24-7-hlc-48-aquarium-led-light.html
controlling 4 that aren't designed to be "ganged" is a challenge as well as the 24/7 programming..
Just an example

Straight on/off t5's

Not sure how many tubes one would need but just 4 doesn't seem like enough for that depth..

Straight on/off leds. There are literally dozens and picking one would depend on beam angle and your choice of color fidelity.

cri of 70+ isn't earth shattering..but what do you expect for $50..One of the reasons for a high L/Watt ratio. More yellow/green throwing off the CRI.
Not sure 2 would work but 4 def should..

Reactions: Rainydazs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff,

Read through a bunch of different threads you've commented on, as well as doing a bit of research myself. I think I like the idea of 4 LED spot lights mounted above the tanks. I am thinking to get 60W, or maybe 3 80W floods. I like the idea of 3 80W because it gives me some more room to add an RBG flood as well to add some color. they have some half decent (i assume) chinese ones you can get at the same price point you noted for the KIVO.

I do have a few questions, as you have proven VERY knowledgeable in the posts I've seen.

1) Not an electrical/lighting expert, but 4 60W LEDs/3 80W provide more power than 4 AI primes, at a cheaper price point. That said - is more power/more LEDs = more better for plant growth? I know there is some simplification there, but generally speaking (and assuming some tuning), is that logic generally sound? I am just concerned to make sure i am reaching those bottom carpet plants.

2). I saw some of your other posts, albeit some of the info is from a couple years ago and I imagine there are more options on the market. I like the idea of being able to ramp up/down these lights. similar connectivity as the AI prime would be cool but far from a true point of care. I was looking into ramp up timers and such - which seem to only have their use in the aquarium hobby, but most of them appear to run from DC current. The LED's i mentioned above have wiring to be plugged up to AC. Do you know of any ramp up timers/controllers that work on AC? I know it would have to be able to handle high power - for over 200 W. But we know AI has their Hydras which run 135W, so i know there has to be a decent compact option?

Thanks in advance - your advice has been wonderful thus far. If you have paypal/Venmo, PM me and I'll buy you a beer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts