The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I just recently bought a hex tank that I believe is around a 37 gallon. 24 inches deep, 12 inches each panel, and 24 inches from point to point. I have a stock light on it that came with the tank, but I am thinking it isn't strong enough to reach the bottom of the tank. I am growing anubias, dwarf hairgrass, jungle val, and I may try a banana plant. I was wondering about what I should do about the lighting. The light bulb is 18 inches across. I hear a lot about the T5 HO, but I just don't know how many watts I need or whether 6000k is powerful enough. Also saw an LED aqueon and marineland light that fits, but I am not sure if those are any good. Just let me know what you think, thank you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a 150W MH disco ball pendant, from a solana, on the hex I had setup a while back. Worked great, the MH had no problem lighting up this footprint of a tank. I used a decent 6700K bulb on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I used a 150W MH disco ball pendant, from a solana, on the hex I had setup a while back. Worked great, the MH had no problem lighting up this footprint of a tank. I used a decent 6700K bulb on it.
Do you know where I could find one of these and how much they would cost? Just want to get the planted tank rolling and the light is the last thing I need. I also didn't know if I would need to get an all new fixture or if I could just get a higher powered light. Anything would help me, thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Have you looked into a Kessil? I just bought an A360WE tuna sun for a 24" x18" x18" tank. It's supposed to be high light on a 24" cube tank. I think it could be a good option.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Yeah I looked into them, but they were pretty expensive for me. I am a college student, so I don't really have the money to spend on a real nice one yet, just looking for one that will get me by until I save up enough money. I found a Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture that comes with the day, night, and moonlight LEDs. It also has room for 2 additional bulbs that can be placed in it that are day lights. Anyone know anything about this type of light?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Thank you! I am really liking the EVO 24 LED Bright, but the reviews are making it seem like it is for a saltwater/coral tank. Is this true?
Depends on what you "like".. I usually don't recommend lights w/that type of diode composition but it is a bit personal opinion.
It could be worse..:)
Red diodes and the lower ratio of blue/white isn't bad..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on what you "like".. I usually don't recommend lights w/that type of diode composition but it is a bit personal opinion.
It could be worse..:)
Red diodes and the lower ratio of blue/white isn't bad..
Do you think it will look natural in a planted freshwater tank with driftwood? I'm not used to using this type of light so I am just trying to get as much information as I can, sorry if I seem to be asking a lot of questions!

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Do you think it will look natural in a planted freshwater tank with driftwood? I'm not used to using this type of light so I am just trying to get as much information as I can, sorry if I seem to be asking a lot of questions!
Well it will be "kinda" like this:

Sorry, don't have any photos of the exact one..

another way to look at it..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it will be "kinda" like this:

Sorry, don't have any photos of the exact one..

another way to look at it..

Okay that actually looks really good, as long as my plants can grow and its lights up the tank, then it's good with me :hihi:
Thank you again, I think I will end up getting this one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.