The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my DIY 5500K unit on my 15 gallon to a Jebo Odyssea 4x24W T5 hood. However, the T5's that came with it don't have a Kelvin rating listed, is there any way to determine this?

I had 5500K T12s and PCs on my DIY and that looked white to my naked eye. The T5s now look slightly purple if that helps at all.

Also, the plants have shown slightly more O2 bubbling which I hadn't seen using the DIY unit. With Kelvin ratings aside, is this generally a good enough indicator of sufficient lighting or would getting T5s of known color temp be more advisable?

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I've heard actinic bulbs don't do anything for plants. But then again pearling means photosynthesis and photosynthesis means growth...

I don't think the bulbs are actinic though cause I have a T-12 actinic bulb and that's straight blue. These T5s are white with a slight purple tinge.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've noticed an explosion of algae growth in the past two days after switching to the 96W unit so I'm only running half the unit right now for 48 watts, 10 hours a day.

Plants look alright except for the algae. Can't seem to get it under control, especially on my moss. Looks filthy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts