The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All! Detailed questions/advice sought below:

I'm moving from a 10g high tech tank to a used tank I purchased a while back (36"L x 18"W x 20"H, ~56 gallons?). I like my high tech set up, but want to move to a jungle style tank, something I haven't done before. Substrate will probably vary from 2"-3". I'm not sure what light-level is typically considered necessary for jungle style, but with a partial canopy likely to develop, I would imagine high light is preferred, but would appreciate confirmation from anyone that's done it.

My budget can be flexible, but if it would be significantly cheaper to just swap out this tank for a 40 gallon breeder (36"W x 18"W x 16"H) to reduce the light penetration needs, I'd be willing to consider it since it's a common planted tank size, and will fit the existing stand. As far as budget for lights though, I can be flexible if I can get what I want. If two A360WE Tuna Suns will light the 56g tank plenty for high light, I'd be willing to cave for that (I do like the cooler color and natural shimmer the kessils provide - ranks high in the "wants" category). I really want to avoid patchily covered substrate.

But if we're looking at $1K+ for lighting the 56g sufficiently, I'd be willing to look at either the smaller tank, or cheaper lighting that can get the job done. Just want to avoid the super warm look that seems common with inexpensive options. Also open to options outside of LEDs; I just lack experience with anything else.

Ex. of plant mix I'm looking at:
•Crinum Calamistratum
•Utricularia graminifolia
•Syngonanthus Sp. 'Belem'
•Pogostemon erectus
•Didiplis Diandra
•Pogostemon helferi
•Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'
•Eichhornia Diversifolia
•Blyxa Japonica
•Alternanthera Reineckii 'Rosaefolia'
•Anubias barteri 'Petite Gold Leaf'
•Jungle Val

Appreciate any advice or redirection to related thread. Did some searching on jungle needs and didn't find much. Just as a reference, was inspired by this tank by reddit user /u/mynameisjeef. (his/her tank in reference is only a 20L).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts