The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, title explains the basics. I've done some reading in the archives and it seems as if MH lamps are the preferred lights of choice for plant lovers like myself. Okay, no sweat, I'll just need to give my wife a helluva lot more foot rubs.... ;)

So I went off the eBay to try to find something a tad less expensive and found a couple potential options:

First option seems good, will probably cost around $500 w/shipping, and has more light than I know what to do with... (auction is ending, but others will be available)

Second option is around $550 shipped, has less total rated wattage if memory serves, but looks perty....

The last option is about $650 shipped, but the secondary lights are attached sorta funny... interesting unit...

So does anyone have any information or experience with any of these? My tank has two cross braces effectively splitting the top into three sections, so getting a MH with three lamps works rather nicely. In any event, I'd want to avoid hanging MH pendants and this seems like it would probably be the way to go if I went with MH. Perhaps one day I can build a hood, but I'm a year into a multi-year renovation on my home and that is simply not in the cards right now, so whatever I do will sit on top of the aquarium.

Thanks for the feedback. This is a very big purchase and I really don't want to pick up a lemon...

All the best,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Those are each a lot of light. More than you are going to want to deal with on a fw planted tank. That much light is meant for growing corals and such. On a 125, t5 will give you enough penetration to grow pretty much anything. If the tank was a lot deeper, then MH might be the way to go. A 4 bulb fixture would be about right for that tank.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. I keep going back and forth on what to do, so I'm sorry if I come across as indecisive.... or maybe I'm not indecisive... I can't decide... ;)

But seriously, another option I'd seen is something like this

An Odyssea Light that is only around $225 shipped, has about 380 watts, but who know what the quality is like....

Then there is this CurrentUSA B-stock that has 12x39w lights and can probably be gotten for $350 plus SH....

It isn't so much that I've got an eBay fetish, its just that the prices for what you get--on paper--seem really good. However, before I pull the proverbial trigger, I really want to get some feedback on how thoroughly I'm deceiving myself.... :red_mouth

For that kind of money get yourself a Catalina t5ho fixture...you'd be much happier in the long run.
Is there a particular model that I should consider? They have the Solar and like Solar plus or something like that...... Thanks for the rec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts