The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a plan and everything figured out for this tank...except the lighting. It's frustrating because it seems very few people make appropriate 30" fixtures, and if I have to order a light setup online I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

I'm planning to keep only low-light plants as this is my first planted tank. However, I would like a LOT of growth and greenery in this aquarium. I would like to try for 2 watts per gallon or a little less, because I would prefer not to bother with C02 injections on my first experience with plants. The problem I'm facing is that I'm finding lights that are either way too strong for my idea or way too weak, nothing in the range I need. I currently have a Marineland LED Single Bright strip on the tank, but I'm planning to move this to my other non-planted aquarium as I know it is insufficient for plants. Does anyone know of any perfect light systems that will provide the right amount and quality of light for a low-light 20 gallon long aquarium?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looking at low light options as well for my low-tech shrimp tank. I have a 15 Gal with the same height as yours and am looking at the Finnex Fugeray. Looks like they have a 30" model available. Should work wonders if its suspended above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue is that I can't suspend lights. Granted, I've seen people suspend them from homemade metal structures, but I don't want to attach anything to the ceiling. I can't find any appropriate lights that will fit on the tank and give the proper WPG without suspension. I did find some 30" T5 HOs that were I believe 24 watts...but I feel like even one would be too bright and require CO2 injection. I'm starting to think I should disband my 20G long and get a 20 high instead :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.