The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 125g aquarium, and I really want to make it a planted tank. I really only ever been able to grow tiger lotus, and jungle val :( no fancy lights or anything.

But with this one I want to do it right! I was looking at this:
Coralife Lunar Aqualight Deluxe Series-72" (4X96W) with 5- 3/4W Blue-Moon-Glow LED Lamps at Big Al's Online

But replacing the blue bulbs with something else. Would this be what i need? would I need a CO2 setup with this as well? or would it be just enough light for a low tech setup?

Thanks

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
With that much light you will need CO2 to avoid major algae problems. If you have CO2 that should be plenty of light though since the Watts per gallon rule breaks down when you have larger tanks and you would have 3WPG anyways.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hey Rich Welcome,
I have a 4 X 96 AH Supply setup on my 125.

IMO You WILL need Co2 with all that light.
Watts Per Gallon rule really breaks down on tanks this big.

Check to see if that fixture lets you run the 2 tubes indiviually. I run mine 2 tubes for 10 hours a day, 2 tubes noon-time high light for 2 hours a day.

As you said you will have to replace the Actinic bulbs.

If you have a canopy on your tank, and can do basic wiring check out AH Supply.
With the money you save you can get lunar links, and cooling fans.

HTH

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've been looking at lights recently and have previously built a retrofit 6 * 55 W Compact Fluorescent system for my 125. I was't happy with the results, primarily because my substrate is terrible and I didn't get enough C02 into the system. I ended up abandoning the high tech and reverted to low tech.

What I really disliked about the CF was the heat, it was unmanageble and loud and was the reason I gave up on solving the other problems. I'm planning for a 77 or a 90 at the moment (a downsize) and I'm going T5, not fans and far less heat are my reasoning. There's a T5 thread going on elsewhere on the board, consider it. I'll likely go Tek for the quality...I'm so tired of messing around with retrofit and cheap lights...and I'm a cheap guy!

·
Registered
706 Posts
if you go T5, you cant go wrong with Tek, great product, but finding a 6' setup is going to be a pain. you can use the 6*54w or even 8*54w (what i use on a 120g). the 8 bulb is a little high though and in hindsight a 6x would have been adequate. i run 4 bulbs 10 hours a day with a 2 hour noon time siesta, and add the other 4 bulbs for a 3 hour burst. fixture is only 48" though so suspension (looks cool) or a custom hood is you only route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help guys :)

Still not too sure what I am going to get lol but all of this helps thats for sure! I do know I will need CO2 though.

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts