The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....I am setting up a 10 gallon planted tank. I am going with java fern and java moss as my plant setup with evetually adding some shriimp. My question is, I have an existing hood with incandescent lights....one of the sockets is borken so only 1 light works. I am switching over to compact fluorescent lights....but I am not sure if I should go with 9 or 13watts....the lights are here http://www.homedepot.ca/product/mini-twister-daylight-compact-fluorescent-bulb-9-watt-2-pack/914383...also thoughts on adding some DIY CO2 with the good old sugar and yeast method, as well as adding some dry ferts....my biggest concern is the lights and co2 at the moment....if anyone can give insight, it's greatly appreciated

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It would be easy for anyone with any experience with electric lights to repair the light so both bulbs will work. Then 13 watt, 6500K bulbs should give you enough light, but you could go for higher wattage bulbs if you wish, as long as there is enough room for them to fit.

DIY CO2 would be very beneficial for that tank. You will be amazed at how much difference it makes. The faster plant growth will also mean you will need to be dosing fertilizers too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts