The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to set up a 10g growout tank for plants and shrimp(s). Since I am on a tight budget, I was thinking about getting a Coralife 20" Aqualight Power Compact retrokit from Big Als Online.

I wanted to get the AH Supply 36watt Bright Kit, but i'm afraid i'll need CO2 for the tank. I want this tank to be maintained less as possible. And I don't think I could afford the kit at this time.

If I were to get the Coralife light fixture, what bulbs do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

·
Banned
418 Posts
I'm planning to set up a 10g growout tank for plants and shrimp(s). Since I am on a tight budget, I was thinking about getting a Coralife 20" Aqualight Power Compact retrokit from Big Als Online.

I wanted to get the AH Supply 36watt Bright Kit, but i'm afraid i'll need CO2 for the tank. I want this tank to be maintained less as possible. And I don't think I could afford the kit at this time.

If I were to get the Coralife light fixture, what bulbs do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
I got the same light and ordered the 10k. I just like the brighter light better. The problem is the off the shelf one only comes with a 50/50 bulb so I had to buy the 10k light seperately for another $15, but 36 watts should be perfect for that tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm using 2 x 15 watt bulbs in the hood that came with my tank. the hood came with incandescents and these ones screw right into the spots the incandescents were. $15 each and the tank is doing great. Plants are growing wonderfully. They are 6700k

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have thought about it and will probably go with the Coralife 20" Aqualight Power Compact fixture with a Coralife 36watt 6,700K flourescent bulb.

Does anybody know if this fixture is used for straight or square pins?

·
Registered
87 Posts
36 watts is a lot of light for a 10 gallon tank. i have the 36 watt ah supply unit on mine. granted, i have the amazing reflectors but you'll probably have to add co2 to your tank somehow as well. i use just the basic hagen ladder with yeast/sugar on mine. i even use the hagen plastic container for my mix because it looks so much cooler than juice bottles/soda bottles.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I will be running any CO2 on this tank. I will probably just end up using Seachem Flourish Excel as a source of carbon, I will also be dosing NPK ferts here and there, but nothing too extreme.

If I end up buying the Coralife fixture, I will probably replace the 50/50 bulb with this bulb, Coralife 36 Watt 6,700K Power Compact Lamp- Straight Pin at Big Al's Online

But i'm not sure yet if the light takes straight or square pins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts