The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 150 gallon aquarium and am in the planning stages of a new lighting system. My aquarium is 18x24x72. I currently have 4 40 watt 36" T12. I am leaning towards T5 lights.

I was reading a thread here that talked about different wattage in different types of bulbs. The watts/gallon rule.

Am I correct is saying the wattage is needed to get the strength of the light to the bottom of the tank and the K rating (between 6500K and 10,000K) is for plant growth and looks, 6500K for plant growth and 10,000K for crispness for the viewer?

I was told by a person in a fish store that I need special UV bulbs for a planted aquarium. Is this correct? Can't I just go to "example a commercial lighting store" and buy any bulb that is in the K rating range?

I am also thinking on buying some blue Xmas led lights for moon lighting

I am new to planted tanks and don't want to do this twice.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Sort of on the kelvin issue... most bulbs between 5000-10,000 k will support plant growth, and which bulbs to choose is more a personal aesthetic choice than anything else.

You don't need UV bulbs for a planted aquarium. Those are needed by reptiles and amphibians, not fish or plants.

I'd go for a T5 or T5HO setup, personally... but how much light you need/want depends on whether you want a high tech setup (with pressurized CO2) or low tech (you'll need to limit light if you don't want to put CO2 on the tank).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have pressurized C02 already in my tank. It consists of a C02 bottle, gauge needle valve bubble counter that feed into my Rena 3 canister filter. I set this up a while back when I thought the reason my plants were not growing was because of lack of C02. The one thing I don't have is a PH monitor to control the C02 level in the tank.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
In that case you should be good to go!

I'd probably go with 3 or 4 rows of T5HOs. Individual switches for each bank of lights would give you lots of flexibility.

I'm guessing you'll be putting retrofits in that canopy in your avatar pic?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.