The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello evryone, I'm new here :)

I recently bought an extra large aquarium in dimensions: width 150, height 55, depth 65 (cm). A total of about 500 liters / 130 gallons.
I plan to create a low-tech tank but want to be as limited as possible in terms of the variety of plants I can grow.
I was thinking of the CHIHIROS WRGB 2, the price is not cheap but I am not looking to discount the lighting.
Are there any other options I should consider?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
12,842 Posts

I recently bought an extra large aquarium in dimensions: width 150, height 55, depth 65 (cm). A total of about 500 liters / 130 gallons.
I plan to create a low-tech container but want to be as limited as possible in terms of the variety of plants I can grow.
I was thinking of the CHIHIROS WRGB 2, the price is not cheap but I am not looking to discount the lighting.

Depends.. Other than power one needs to consider "look" and likes.
Personally.. AI Prime freshwaters are more naturally balanced than RGB arrays .
Guess you can consider it a style choice.

Depending on cross bracing and intensity needs always determines how many.

If cost isn't an issue there are stronger pendant lights like Radion XR-15 G5 fw
Or Mitras 7004

·
Registered
512 Posts

As some one who keeps a large tank. If you do not want hair algae. The. You are going to want adjustable led lighting.
An you are going to want Co2. You need to balance the plant growth with the waste take up of the plants. This requires adjustable lighting and Co2. I also do a weekly 50% water change. once adjusted
I have not algae and great plant growth.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

I plan to create a low-tech tank but want to be as limited as possible in terms of the variety of plants I can grow.

I used to recommend the chihiros wrgb 2 as I had one and liked it quite a bit. Then mine died on me. Not long after mine died several other people's lights also died on this forum. All were less then a year old. Since I live in the USA there was zero support for the light from the company. Not sure if they support the light in Israel or not. Anyway I can't really recommend them now.

I ended up using 3 smart bulbs for my 75 gallon tank.

If I were looking for big name off the shelf lighting options I would go for either twinstar, ai prime, or kessil. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you need to be careful that the arm mounts fit it.
And cross bracing?
The lighting will just sit up:

Wood Gas Rectangle Automotive exterior Flooring

(do not refer to the supports from the bottom up .. this is a picture while under construction):
Rectangle Automotive exterior Flooring Composite material Machine

I have a pair of Twinstar 900E V III for sale if you are interested. Basically brand new, very highly rated lights. They are each 36" long so two of them spaced out and hung over that tank would work well!

My for sale post: 2X New Twinstar 900E III
Thanks we will talk in private

As some one who keeps a large tank. If you do not want hair algae. The. You are going to want adjustable led lighting.
An you are going to want Co2. You need to balance the plant growth with the waste take up of the plants. This requires adjustable lighting and Co2. I also do a weekly 50% water change. once adjusted
I have not algae and great plant growth.
Thanks, I consider not to add CO2 at least in the begining, maybe later on..

I used to recommend the chihiros wrgb 2 as I had one and liked it quite a bit. Then mine died on me. Not long after mine died several other people's lights also died on this forum. All were less then a year old. Since I live in the USA there was zero support for the light from the company. Not sure if they support the light in Israel or not. Anyway I can't really recommend them now.

I ended up using 3 smart bulbs for my 75 gallon tank.

If I were looking for big name off the shelf lighting options I would go for either twinstar, ai prime, or kessil. Good luck!
Well that's a point that I didn't think of. If il'l buy from AliExpress or Ebay for example, I will have a series problem if the item stop work :(

2 of the 3 three that you mentioned (ai prime & kessil) will not work for me - I don't have rimless..
Any other brand except from Twinstar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Thanks we will talk in private

Thanks, I consider not to add CO2 at least in the begining, maybe later on..

Well that's a point that I didn't think of. If il'l buy from AliExpress or Ebay for example, I will have a series problem if the item stop work :(

2 of the 3 three that you mentioned (ai prime & kessil) will not work for me - I don't have rimless..
Any other brand except from Twinstar?

Thanks.
There are a few options for light bars and probably different ones for you then for me in USA. Other options include UNS Titan, beamswork and nicrew. The latter two are budget options. For the beamswork I'd suggest the DA FSPEC since its a bit brighter then other beamswork offerings. Not sure about the right nicrew light offhand.

Honestly after seeing your tank I am not sure why point source lighting like kessil won't work for you. They will provide at least as much coverage as a light bar. But like I said, you have lots of options and there are plenty of people who prefer light bars over point source.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts