The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need ideas for an 11.4g mr aqua rimless tank.

i decided to move my saltwater fish into my 12g long so i want to setup the 11g as a high tech planted tank.

i plan on co2 and having carpet plants.

so i need ideas on lighting...i want clean lines and not too obtrusive of a fixture...i like clamp on lights alot...dont mind pc,t5s or leds anything that will work.

thanks!!
belle

oh the tank is 18.9"Lx11Hx11W

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
went ahead and ordered the finnex ray2 for the tank...

cant wait to get it, that should be enough to grow a carpet in my tank right?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Gonna have the same tank/light combo. Haven't set it up yet though. But, yes you are going to be able to grow carpet plants. I have a shuber wright 5 gal with the 16" ray 2 fixture and I can grow carpet plants. The 18" ray 2 has more par than the 16" and the tank is only about an 1" or so taller. Even with the 16" ray 2, I still had to raise my fixture around 6" above the tank. I will end up raising the 18" around 6"-8" when I setup the new tank. Just make sure your co2 and o2 is good and raise the fixture if possible to avoid algae.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Lighting For A Mr. Aqua 11.4 Gallon Tank

i need ideas for an 11.4g mr aqua rimless tank.

i decided to move my saltwater fish into my 12g long so i want to setup the 11g as a high tech planted tank.

i plan on co2 and having carpet plants.

so i need ideas on lighting...i want clean lines and not too obtrusive of a fixture...i like clamp on lights alot...dont mind pc,t5s or leds anything that will work.

thanks!!
belle

oh the tank is 18.9"Lx11Hx11W

I've found that low powered LED lights will not grow carpeting plants such as dwarf hairgrass and microsword. I don't how many watts the Finnex LED lights have, however,
I believe that they are fairly low powered.

However, a pair of Fluval CF 13 watt 6400K will grow carpeting plants very well and work nicely on the Mr. Aqua 11.4.

I use a pair of these on my Mr. Aqua 7.5 gallon planted tank, and the dwarf hairgrass grows very well.

I am setting up a Mr. Aqua 11.4 for my Panda Coryadoras fishes. I am using a pair of
AquaTop Nano Type P LED lights which only work out to about 7 watts each. So its
about 1.2 watts of light per gallon of water in this particular tank.

However, it should be enough to grow the Rose Sword plant that will be in the tank.

If I were keeping carpeting plants in this tank I would have chosen either T-5 of CF lighting though.

The Mr. Aqua 11.4 is too short to accommodate the Hagen GLO T5 24" lighting systems, or I would have used one of those since I have a few spares laying around. The Hagen GLO
systems are excellent lights with strong ballasts.

I have several at this point, the oldest of which is about 4 years old.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've found that low powered LED lights will not grow carpeting plants such as dwarf hairgrass and microsword. I don't how many watts the Finnex LED lights have, however,
I believe that they are fairly low powered.

However, a pair of Fluval CF 13 watt 6400K will grow carpeting plants very well and work nicely on the Mr. Aqua 11.4.

I use a pair of these on my Mr. Aqua 7.5 gallon planted tank, and the dwarf hairgrass grows very well.

I am setting up a Mr. Aqua 11.4 for my Panda Coryadoras fishes. I am using a pair of
AquaTop Nano Type P LED lights which only work out to about 7 watts each. So its
about 1.2 watts of light per gallon of water in this particular tank.

However, it should be enough to grow the Rose Sword plant that will be in the tank.

If I were keeping carpeting plants in this tank I would have chosen either T-5 of CF lighting though.

The Mr. Aqua 11.4 is too short to accommodate the Hagen GLO T5 24" lighting systems, or I would have used one of those since I have a few spares laying around. The Hagen GLO
systems are excellent lights with strong ballasts.

I have several at this point, the oldest of which is about 4 years old.
Hey bud... with LED's, watts to gallon ratios are meaningless (as with T5's). Not all LEDs are created equal.

The Ray 2 is MORE than adequate to grow every carpeting plant on the planet at less than 12" distance from light to sub. The Ray 2's PAR value at 12" is 72... minus substrate, we're looking at 9 to 10" on a 11.4g Mr. Aqua... this is going to definitely be in the 'high light' territory where CO2 is a must.

Check the PAR values:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944

Do a little research before you end up with a crazy amount of algae underestimating LEDs. :)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160396

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
+1

You shouldn't have any difficulty trying to grow Dwarf hairgrass, microswords, glosso, ET and HC into a carpet with the RayII. It's been done by many folks here.

If you're having problems, its likely an inefficient or absence of CO2 for consideration.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I hav a finnex ray 2 and my plants are loving it.... So is the algae. I have the same exact 11.4 gallon
carpet plants? No problem !

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bump!

Anyone running Satellite Planted +'s on these 11.4's?

I'm trying to dial-in 2 of them on mine & looking for suggestions on which settings would be a good combo. Mixing the cloud-cover settings now, as higher par settings, I believe are causing a losing battle with BGA:-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts