The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been out of the planted tank game for quite some time. Have been in the Reef land for quite some time. I have an 11g (23.5"x9"x12") that I am planning on doing a low tech planted tank. Out of the finnex fugeray or Current Satellite+ which one would work best?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A Finnex Fugeray light sitting on the top of the tank, with 2 inches of substrate in the tank, would give you high light. That would mean using pressurized CO2 would be essential for avoiding lots of algae problems. I'm not sure how the Current Satellite+ would compare, but I suspect it would give at least that much light.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I think that the appearence of the fixture is just as important to those who buy LED
lights for their tanks as the actual light it gives but on a 12" tall tank unless you are going high tech including CO2 you will have far less algae issues if you go with a single T8 bulb in a strip light fixture. GE makes both a 6700K bulb and a "Plant&Aquarium" bulb for that. That Plant&Aquarium light enhansing bulb as they call it has some of the blue and red spectrum in it so is a good plant bulb which is better but has a bit less visible
light than the 6700K bulb they sell(at Loew's).
I have had two 10g tanks for a few years now and use T8 only on one of them so I've been through lots of the T8 bulbs
trying to find ones which grow, but don't cause algae as much as...in two bulb set-ups(two seperate strip light fixtures, one
at the front and one at the back of the tank) and two bulbs(T8) makes it hard to find ones which don't give you lots of algae.
So one is enough for the plants using the right bulb.
If you "got-to-have" the LED...The Marineland Double Bright will give that tank adequate light for plants but won't have much
of any color to the light. If that Satalite is dimmable like I think it is, then it will work if turned down by 40% to start till you see how much algae it makes and adjust from there. I'd begin/w 7 hrs also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured that LED would put the tank in the medium to high range lighting group but i thought i would ask first. I got clearance from the wifey to go high tech( had a 55g high tech before)

thank you all for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts