The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some of your guy's opinions on the 24" 48W T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series (http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=52121P&CartID=1)

I currently have a 20gal Tall
I measured my tank once and its roughly 24" long so it "should" fit
but then i'd have to remove my current Deluxe Hood and obtain a glass one to fit it on

This light fixture seems good but i want your guys opinions on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hmmmm why not?
if you could refer me to an article (or multiple) that would be great
Watts are not a measure of light output. Watts are a measure of electrical power.

For example, let's take an old standard 60 watt incandescent light bulb. It puts out the same amount of light as an 13 watt new style curly screw in compact fluorescent bulb. The CFL bulb is more efficient than the old incandescent.

The old WPG was developed when T12 fluorescent was common. Even then it is a bad rule, but it seemed to work OK.

The newer T8, T5NO & T5HO lights are more efficient than T12s. They produce more light per watt.

The unit of measure for useable light for plant growth is PAR. There is a sticky in the Lighting section of the forum which will give you the answers you need.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm so if i only use 1 of the available bulbs, then i'd get get high-medium lighting
the light im currently using is a T8 15 18" watt and the only plants i have are anacharis and java moss, and they are slowly dieing
The table seems to be vague in watts the lights use
i just re-measured my tank, its 16/17 inches high

Also, i was thinking i'd just plop it on top of the current hood, it'll block off some of the light so maybe my fish won't get boiled
*on a side note* (are guppies, platies,and swortails edible?)

·
Registered
50 Posts
hmm so if i only use 1 of the available bulbs, then i'd get get high-medium lighting
the light im currently using is a T8 15 18" watt and the only plants i have are anacharis and java moss, and they are slowly dieing
The table seems to be vague in watts the lights use
i just re-measured my tank, its 16/17 inches high

Also, i was thinking i'd just plop it on top of the current hood, it'll block off some of the light so maybe my fish won't get boiled
*on a side note* (are guppies, platies,and swortails edible?)
The table assumes the bulb is approximately the length of the tank.

Are you using CO2? If not stick to low/medium light or suffer algae break outs.

What substrate are you using? Are you dosing ferts?

*** Are aquarium fish edible? Ummmm I dont want to know.... Actually I do...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have DIY C02 and dosing Florapride every 2 weeks
I just have small sized natural gravel
***well, bright coloring generally spells out danger but people've eaten raw goldfish before..........
I might add some watersprite and try and get a forest look

·
Registered
50 Posts
With DIY CO2 it's a hard call. Are you going to switch to pressurized CO2 later? If so the Odyssea dual T5HO fixture could be OK.

Even with pressured CO2 you might be better off with lower light.
The 24" Aqueon Dual T5NO is a good choice for low / medum light on a 20high.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11248153

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok then buy the Odyssea, but be prepared to hang it about 8 to 12 inches above the tank.

With the Aqueon dual T5NO you can just place it on top on the glass.

Your choice.
Ok, ok, gawd, i'll get the damn T5No, i'll get to a pet smart soon
Happy?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.