The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I've been keeping a fairly well planted 90g tank for about a year now and have gone through the full enthusiast progression (no plants>>some plants>>no idea what I'm doing>>CO2>>BBA>>reading and thinking...).

I've had a Fluval 3.0 on it for a while now, and after lots of trial and error and suspending it from the ceiling (so the sides of the tank are lit), I just don't think it can push the PAR down through glass lids and 24" of water. I've raised part of the substrate up and that has helped some plants, but at this point I think I just need to replace the lighting. I've had a look at some wonderful articles on 2hraquarist, but the lights recommended are way out of my price range, and I've found pretty mixed reviews concerning the longevity of the Chihiros WRGBII--the only recommendation that remotely close to affordable for me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for lighting a 90g with medium-high to high light (I'm injecting plenty of CO2 and have pretty good plant mass)?

Also, has anyone had experience with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 ALC (I think this is the new one)? I was thinking about buying two and suspending them over the tank in a DIY cradle. The reds look awesome in the pictures (unlike the pinks in the Fluval 3.0), but the spec sheet only lists PAR to 18".

edit: If there are any Finnex wizards out there, the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ is also in the mix.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I purchased 2 of the 48" alc fpr my 75 gallon and am extremely happy. There is a thread on here that someone got par info directly from finnex that lists the par at 18"=88, 21 inches=73 and 24 inches =61 on a 48" ALC.

I can tell you these replaced 2 beamsworks da fspecs and are miles above them in many aspects.
Color with the 660 reds is fantastic, and the light is much brighter. My plants have responded positively and the colors of my fish pop. I also get a bit of the shimmer effect which never happened with the Beamsworks. The light colors mix well and there is no disco ball effect. The beamsworks always discoed the reds and greens and you cpuld see the individual colors on the bottom of the tank.

With the factory feet the lights sit about 1.5 jnches above the top rim of the tank. The build quality is great, basically the ALC is in a ray 2 housing.
According to finnex, the fugeray planted plus has slightly better par but is a "dumb" light, whereas the ALC has the 24/7 programming if that matters to you, i find being able to ramp the lights makes everything more natural.

2 of these should give you 90-100 par on the substrate of a 90 gallon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased 2 of the 48" alc fpr my 75 gallon and am extremely happy. There is a thread on here that someone got par info directly from finnex that lists the par at 18"=88, 21 inches=73 and 24 inches =61 on a 48" ALC.

I can tell you these replaced 2 beamsworks da fspecs and are miles above them in many aspects.
Color with the 660 reds is fantastic, and the light is much brighter. My plants have responded positively and the colors of my fish pop. I also get a bit of the shimmer effect which never happened with the Beamsworks. The light colors mix well and there is no disco ball effect. The beamsworks always discoed the reds and greens and you cpuld see the individual colors on the bottom of the tank.

With the factory feet the lights sit about 1.5 jnches above the top rim of the tank. The build quality is great, basically the ALC is in a ray 2 housing.
According to finnex, the fugeray planted plus has slightly better par but is a "dumb" light, whereas the ALC has the 24/7 programming if that matters to you, i find being able to ramp the lights makes everything more natural.

That sounds perfect! I actually got excited last night after coming across that post and ordered a pair of 48" ALCs, which should be arriving today. I'll definitely give the factory feet a shot, but probably DIY some solution for suspending them over the tank. I already have the cables suspended and the lack of waterproofing makes me a little nervous hahaha.

Do you like the programing? And are the remotes paired to each light, or can you control both with the remote? I'm sort of conflicted about using the programming or just sticking them on smart plugs (of course, that will depend on how the lights react to power cycles), but I have a feeling the fish won't like going from zero to MAXIMUM SUN at the flip of a switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i Have one ALC 48 24/7 on a 90 gallon and its amazing. I have great plant growth and color. I hate the brackets they don't fit tight and I had to tape in place. iImay add a second at some point depending on how well they perform and if i can keep par high enough for red plants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im using the pre ptogrammed schedule on mine for now, really enjoying the sunrise and sunset colors.

How do you like the lights so far?
Im loving them! I set up a custom schedule, which was a bit clunky, but they are working well. I don’t like the brackets that came with them, but they are doing their job while I DIY some cradles to suspend from the ceiling.
I am blown away by how bright they are and I’ve got them both at 60%. Plan is to increase brightness next week. The plants and fish look fantastic :). Im very glad I went with these lights.
Thanks guys for the help!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im loving them! I set up a custom schedule, which was a bit clunky, but they are working well. I don’t like the brackets that came with them, but they are doing their job while I DIY some cradles to suspend from the ceiling.
I am blown away by how bright they are and I’ve got them both at 60%. Plan is to increase brightness next week. The plants and fish look fantastic :). Im very glad I went with these lights.
Thanks guys for the help!
Yes, i previously had a pair of beamswork DA fspecs which are a good budget light but the ALC absolutely blew them away., and my plants agree!
The 660 reds are fantastic, all of my plants are coloring right up under these.

By the way, the power off behavior on these is this: if you lose power, when power returns they resume where they were in the schedule when power was lost. Not so much a fan of that aspect, but the dimming and brightening is very smooth!

·
Premium Member
4 aquariums, all planted.
60 Posts
I have two Fluval 3.0 Plant on a 75 gallon I find them to be just adequate for a Discus tank with swords, crypts, dwarf hairgrass, etc. I have switched over to Twinstar and UNS Titan lighting for the most part.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm using two 100-watt LED floodlights in my planted 90. I was using CO2 until about two months ago when I needed to jump-start some Amazon swords in another tank. I'll be building a 300-gallon plywood tank (with a sump) for all my plants and fish in the coming months (I hope).

·
Registered
23 Posts

Now that you've had these Finnex awhile for your 75g, are you glad you got two or would one have been enough? I'm setting up an 80g that is 22" deep and I don't want to go nuts if I don't have to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.