The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Im new to planted tanks and aquascaping. I am developing a plan for a tank. I am piecing it together. I currently have a 96W T5. It is 6500K. Ive posted some pics of it.

I have been offered a 20 Gallon long tank. The tank dimesnions are 30x12x12.

My light is 24x15.

Will this work. I would like to have a high light tank. Will the six inches the light doesnt cover make a huge difference?

Also,

How high above the tank should I have the light?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your going to want to hang that light like a foot above the water. After you do that the light spread should cover the tank just fine. If it has the option of just running two bulbs you can lower the fixture to just six inches or so. A 20 long is a very shallow tank you dont need much light at all.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Personally I would raise the light up higher and run all 4 bulbs. This would give you excellent coverage over the whole tank. If you dont want to raise the fixture up, just running two bulbs is good too. You wont get as good of coverage with the second option but you will still be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.